The World Of Twilight
April 25, 2024, 04:07:25 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the World of Twilight forum!
Automatic registration has been disabled, but if you are new and wish to register then just send me an email (m.thorp@talk21.com) and I'll sort it out. Don't forget to say what username you would like!

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A few more pics  (Read 4933 times)
St Anselm
Hatchling

« on: April 22, 2014, 10:59:10 pm »

tried these with a camera.. most came out blurry, must be my eyes...
penalbattalion
Hatchling

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 11:32:23 pm »

Nice skin tones on those.
Kryptovidicus
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 07:28:50 am »

The skin still looks great! But the snow looks a bit strange now. Perhaps it's due too the flash of the camera.

Roleplaying games are a bit like a holiday. You visit new places and meet interesting people.
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 09:15:30 am »

That's a nice looking hunting pack! The skin tone on the devanu is different but works very well.  With the  green skin and the snow I could see these living in the very northern forests.
St Anselm
Hatchling

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 10:21:55 pm »

Thanks ... I agree the snow looks a wee bit odd.. this is 2 layers of what I think is white sand.. 1 layer just looked frostyish .. 2 just looks perculiar.. if anyone has any tips on what / who makes good snow effect I would be glad of the advice .. the miniatures/bases have had a coat of dullcote... might drybrush some satin varnish over the snow give it some shine back?
Kryptovidicus
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 04:41:56 am »

I usually mix some white paint with PVA glue and add in some modelling snow (like modelling grass), but perhaps white sand works just as well.
For a more icy look I've seen a lot of people using backing soda.
Here's a quick tutorial on how to do this:

BuyPainted - How to make snow base for miniature?…: http://youtu.be/zsOTFMDVh0g
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 04:51:32 am by Kryptovidicus » Logged

Roleplaying games are a bit like a holiday. You visit new places and meet interesting people.
St Anselm
Hatchling

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2014, 02:16:15 pm »

had a look at the baking soda method but read that it tends to yellow... watched a woodland scenics snow tutorial and that looks a similar process... that said I had painted pva on the base then sprinkled the white sand on top... might have a go mixing first then applying
Kryptovidicus
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2014, 05:05:09 pm »

At the video about Salute that Mike posted up, I saw a display case with a lot of snow (and the Delgon).
Perhaps you can ask Mike how it was done.
As for the modelling snow I use, it is from GW.
I mix the paint, snow and glue (and some water if it gets too thick) together before applying it. Never used the baking soda, so I don't know if it yellows or not.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 05:14:41 pm by Kryptovidicus » Logged

Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2014, 06:15:08 pm »

I use a mix of GW snow, PVA and water. I mix a different consistency depending how I want it to look...
I recommend you buy good quality PVA so it doesn't go yellow. Baking soda might work but I probably wouldn't risk it.

For the larger scale board I used woodland scenics snow as it was less expensive than the small tubs of GW snow. I also used woodland scenics glue (can't remember what they call it, possibly scenic cement), and a spray (they sell one that fits on their scenic cement bottle that did the job well).
St Anselm
Hatchling

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2014, 05:30:32 pm »

Have got myself some GW snow (thanks to Tim at Spellbound games) and am going to give it a go!... winter is coming...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: