The World Of Twilight
March 29, 2024, 12:03:29 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the World of Twilight forum!
Automatic registration has been disabled, but if you are new and wish to register then just send me an email (m.thorp@talk21.com) and I'll sort it out. Don't forget to say what username you would like!

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: February challenge, ... oh wait, it's already march  (Read 11523 times)
Kryptovidicus
Distinguished Engineer

« on: March 25, 2015, 02:01:31 pm »

Hello everyone,

I can think of at least a dozen excuses why I didn't finish my Delgon for the february challenge.
 But the bottom line is that I got distracted by a lot of things.
 Halfway through february I suddenly started painting my Frenu instead of finishing the Delgon I started. The monotonous colour scheme I chose was probably the biggest factor.

Distracted again ... one of my most terrible flaws indeed Wink.

For my Delgon I wanted my force to look as if they were fitted with mass manufactered weapons, armour and clothing. So I used my metalic paints instead of NMM and went for a soft leather look on the sleeves and trousers. During wartime they probably don't bother a lot with dying the leather.
 I also remembered seeing drawings of the first humans in winter, wearing soft leathers to protect them against the biting cold. Could also be useful in the Setir mountains, where the Delgon live.

Still working on Obal, Gohral and Roban. If I get these finished I only have to do Plutom's mechanicals to have all of my Delgon painted.
I do need some more KalGarkii though, as right now I have more bodyguards than common soldiers. I also need some more KalMalog, so I can play every scenario.

Roleplaying games are a bit like a holiday. You visit new places and meet interesting people.
GrimSnik
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 04:18:13 pm »

those look great. I especially like the light colored hoods on the acolytes and the raw metal on the armor. those colors combined with the nice black rimmed snow bases create a spartan  picture of Delgon society.
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 11:25:50 pm »

Those certainly fit how I always imagined the delgon to look  Smiley
Good job!
Kryptovidicus
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 05:40:21 am »

Thanks Smiley! The paintjob was a bit rushed, but I'm pleased how they look as a group.

Roleplaying games are a bit like a holiday. You visit new places and meet interesting people.
Crucium Giger
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 10:47:45 am »

They look great, very understated but in a good way.

cruciumgiger.blogspot.com
benmoor
Apprentice

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 10:02:21 am »

Looking good - I like the metallic breastplates, I think they fit in well. Also, great effect of the snow on the bases - what have you used for that, is it just cotton wool?

The Slann
Qualified Engineer

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2015, 05:32:11 pm »

They look good, didn't expect Delgon to work in brighter colors, but yours do Smiley

Maybe I get away form my Imperial Guard schemes all over the place at some point.
Kryptovidicus
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2015, 05:58:33 pm »

For snow I mix some modelling snow with PVA glue. Depending on what ratio you combine the two, you can get a deep snow or more icy effect.
I also add a drop of white or light blue paint when applying the mixture to darker surfaces.

Thank you for the kind words everyone.

The clothes went through a series of test runs (I copied and coloured in the two KalGarkii, standing next to each other, from the rulebook). They were black at first, but I found them looking too grim and evil.
Then they were dark green, dark blue, orange (a bit of a hazmat suit look) and at last the final leathery colour.

Kryptovidicus
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2015, 06:35:31 pm »

Here's some of my work I did this weekend.
I spend a lot more time painting Gohral and Obal as they are unique characters and I wanted them to stand out a bit.
Gohral is dressed in black, to show he is one of the highest ranking priests and I also wanted to keep true to the story about the Delgon priests visiting the Emperor  Wink.

I'm still working on Roban, but as he is one of the Delgon Gods, I want to take my time painting him. So in the end I can say he is painted to the best of my abilities.
Note his eyes are different from all my other Fubarnii and Devanu.
He's a (Fake?) God after all and he deserves a icy stare to intimidate his opponents, as if his size isn't enough  Grin.
I already fixed him to his base after I dropped him. His weight gave me a cramped hand while painting, and because of that I decided to mount him on his base to give me some better grip. it makes it far harder to paint him though  Sad.
Here's some WIP:

As the weekend is at It's end, I doubt I'll get either Roban or my Frenu finished. But I don't want to rush either.
So I guess this concludes the challenge for me  Smiley.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 06:43:42 pm by Kryptovidicus » Logged

TuffSkull
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2015, 07:44:48 pm »

Great work. The Delgon are quite superb, the priests and characters in particular, and your take on Roban is looking to make for a really stand out piece in a great force. Keep up the good work after the challenge concludes!

Kryptovidicus
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2015, 08:30:14 pm »

Smiley Thanks and I certainly will.

benmoor
Apprentice

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2015, 08:51:36 pm »

Roban looks great! He looks like a finished model rather than a WiP - what do you still have to do on him?

Kryptovidicus
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2015, 09:21:40 pm »

Roban looks great! He looks like a finished model rather than a WiP - what do you still have to do on him?
Well, almost everything except the wood on his armour and face.
The leather needs a finish. The NMM needs more work, a wash for some part of his body ...

GrimSnik
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2015, 09:47:00 pm »

Roban is just plain awesome. the wood armor is very cool and I really like the way the line of vibrant red frames his neck and head. I also like the way the rim of the bases shine. do you use a gloss varnish or paint for that, or is it just the reflection form a bright light? I've never seen anyone use such shiny bases on models before, but I think it really adds a lot the Delgon.
The Slann
Qualified Engineer

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2015, 11:16:27 pm »

Love your Rogan. Nuff said Wink

Next Big Guy should be comming soon Smiley
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: