The World Of Twilight
March 28, 2024, 01:39:26 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the World of Twilight forum!
Automatic registration has been disabled, but if you are new and wish to register then just send me an email (m.thorp@talk21.com) and I'll sort it out. Don't forget to say what username you would like!

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Kadmon's Scenery - Taelan's Market  (Read 17678 times)
Kadmon
Apprentice

« on: July 10, 2015, 12:54:51 am »

I really like the World of Twilight, so when I've read about the scenery contest, it inspired me to start working. I've remembered one of the art pieces so I've started to work from memory. When I had enough time to browse the forums I've found it:

What I've remembered was close enough to the original artwork that I don't need to start over, I'll just try to modify the pieces I've already made.
I started with gluing strips of corrugated board to create boxes.
Then I've cut arches into the sides. I've also put walls between some of the market stalls. I'll separate the remaining stalls with shelves or other scenery.
After the basic shape was done, I've covered them with a thick layer of plaster.
Kadmon
Apprentice

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2015, 12:58:06 am »

The last picture attached shows how will these look like. I think it's close enough to the original art to continue Smiley I'll take pics of the plastered & painted buildings too. I'm working on the shelves and the goods now.
GrimSnik
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2015, 05:01:33 am »

nice start. clever use on the boxes.   Smiley
Kryptovidicus
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2015, 05:24:39 am »

An amazing start!

Roleplaying games are a bit like a holiday. You visit new places and meet interesting people.
Lost Egg
Lord of Engu
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2015, 06:34:28 am »

Great idea, that sketch is cool and I'm digging what you've done so far.
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2015, 07:28:30 am »

Superb! I've wanted to do that sort of market ever since Taelan sketches it out but never quite got there.
Well done!
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2015, 09:52:54 am »

Also, I said I would offer some extras bits to help with your projects so I'll drop you an email to discuss what sort of goods will be going in your market...
Crucium Giger
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2015, 10:33:51 am »

What a great idea for a project and it looks like you've made a good start.

cruciumgiger.blogspot.com
Kadmon
Apprentice

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2015, 11:55:12 pm »

Thank you for your kind words, and I'm flattered by Carcharoth's offer! In the past days I've continued the project.
From the sketch it's not easy to determine the colour, so I went with a natural looking light brown, with some additional bright colours, to enliven the marketplace.
As I knew I'll need a lot of shelves, I've cut strips of 2mm cardboard (I've received a bunch from a stationary store), and I've also cast some boards in plaster. I've painted them, and I'll add some goods later. I still don't know if I'll just glue them to the walls or if they will be removable pieces.
When I checked the original sketches, I've realized there are some shaders above the entrances - that's why I should always check the plans before start... There wasn't enough place above the arches, so I thought I'd raise the top of the building a bit, so I could have place for the poles of the shaders. To make a more versatile terrain, I've added a removable 2nd floor with some walls.
At the moment they are covered with a thin layer of plaster, but I'm still waiting for it to dry so I could continue with the painting. I've added some PVA glue into the plaster mix, as some parts fell off from the walls of the stalls. I hope it will make it more lasting. (If there were no printed text on the cardboard, it would have been no problem, but as it came from a furniture box, it was unfortunate to see the text. Or rather, the plaster that fell off would have made it more natural, as the corrugated cardboard has a nice brown base colour, and it would have looked like it's just the erosion of the wall.)
Kadmon
Apprentice

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2015, 12:07:58 am »

Now that I have the base for the market, I need some goods.
There is a scroll merchant on the sketch, so I needed scrolls. These are going to be tiny, but as it's easier to work with bigger things, I first made larger pieces that I cut into smaller ones.
I cut strips of paper, glued one side and rolled them. I then cut every roll into smaller pieces.
Then there are some sheets with an attached border - so I glue thin strips of thin cardboard to a strip of paper, and cut them up so that half of the cardboard became the top border of a sheet, and the other half the bottom border. I painted them with a very diluted light brown to give them some colour. If I had more patience, I could have created some graphics to print out. I might do this later, it's good enough for now.
When I had enough scrolls, I moved on to the boxed and baskets of goods. I suppose they are some kind of fruits, so I'll paint them accordingly. However I don't have any kind of premade props I could use, so I had to make my own. I got out some playdough, pushed a glue cap into it to make baskets and pushed the top of a pencil into the middle to make the small fruits. I repeated it with the other end of a brush for larger round fruits, and pushed the tip of a knife into another to make banana-like fruits. For the square boxes I pushed a piece of 2mm MDF 4 times into the playdough to make the walls, and used the same method to make the fruits.
I've poured the plaster in, and a few minutes later I've got some boxes I can use.
In the last picture you can see the playdough mold, the "sculpting tools" and the results. (Two  of the boxes came out broken, so these will be some special 5 sided boxes...)

Ps: Sorry for my bad use of English, it's not my first language.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 12:13:03 am by Kadmon » Logged
GrimSnik
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2015, 02:53:27 am »

so far so good!   Smiley 

that's a creative way to make the trade goods. I've never worked with plaster, but you seem to have a good knack for it.
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2015, 09:33:56 am »

These are definitely proving to be very innovative! I can't wait to see the finished result Smiley
Kadmon
Apprentice

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2015, 11:35:06 am »

Thank you for your encouraging words Smiley
I've finished painting the first fruit boxes, baskets and the two scroll shelves. I think they look okay, so I'll continue making similar pieces.
I've plastered and painted the removable tops of the buildings, and added poles for the shaders.
I think I'll add self-adhesive glue to skewer sticks, and glue the shelves to them, so I can remove the shelves or change them if needed.
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2015, 02:44:08 pm »

Looking good!
Clever use of toy dinosaurs to help populate the world.
GrimSnik
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2015, 03:36:46 am »

wow!  that is looking awesome!   Smiley   Smiley   very inspiring.                 
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: