The World Of Twilight
March 29, 2024, 12:11:24 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the World of Twilight forum!
Automatic registration has been disabled, but if you are new and wish to register then just send me an email (m.thorp@talk21.com) and I'll sort it out. Don't forget to say what username you would like!

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Rin Tular, Casanii Creator  (Read 4312 times)
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« on: March 23, 2016, 07:52:58 pm »

I had the following entry sent in and promised to share it!

Rin Tular, Casanii Creator

The inventive spirit that drives the engineers of the Fubarnii is not exclusive to the Empire. It is a primordial drive to experiment and create that appears in a handful of individuals within every Fubarnii tribe. Whether they have gunpowder, steel and alembics to tinker with, or rock, leather and dirt, they simply cannot help themselves – they must create. Rin Tular is one such creator.

As a jenta he was always making things. One day it would be an egg-warmer, the next a contraption for filtering weevils from grain, or an ointment to keep hooves shiny. Most worked after a fashion, though none were going to change the tribe’s fortunes overnight.

When Rin joined the feral braves, along with the rest of his age group, he did so because that was what everyone did. However, unlike his peers he was not content to simply go along with what was expected. Instead, he spent much of his time devising new traps, self-cleaning cooking pots, and – his real passion - trying to work out how mutts could be ridden. It all seemed so obvious. They were brim-full of energy and there had to be a way to harness that for moving things about, even if they were too small to support his whole weight. Perhaps if he used several at once? Now that had promise.

Rin’s plan was to harness two of them side by side, with a carefully-designed saddle on each. The saddle had a slot in the top, into which Rin could slip a hoof, so that he could stand with one foot on each mutt. Meanwhile, the rest of the harness held the mutts together so they could only run in one direction. To the amazement of the other braves, it almost worked. Almost.

As soon as his bones were healed he was at it again. His long convalescence allowed him time to think, and he had decided to abandon mutts as riding beasts. They were too small and skittish for what he had in mind. Instead he decided to see what could be done with the largest of the plains beasts, like the haughty dompaku and majestic ampladar. What, thought Rin, if they could be ridden like erillai, or harnessed like bagrun? Maybe the tribe’s traders could carry more goods to exchange with the neighbouring tribes, or perhaps the dompaku could carry giant water skins so that the tribe could travel wherever it wished, regardless of supplies. Maybe a herd of ampladar could even be persuaded to carry huts on their backs, so that the whole village could move without the time-consuming setting up and dismantling whenever they migrated. All that was needed was a way of controlling them.

The bones Rin broke with his mutts were not the last…

Playing Rin Tular

Rin isn’t really a fighting character. He is average in melee, but nothing more, and this only because he has had to look after himself for so long. He might look fierce in his warpaint and feathers, but it’s all for show. He’s not interested in fighting for the sake of it. What allows him to survive in the wilds is a combination of luck, guards, and his own cunning creations. Having said all that, Rin ends up in the middle of a lot of difficult situations, precisely because he is always out in the wilds, exploring the margins of the tribe’s domain.

Guards

Wandering over the plains seeking out the largest of the dompaku and ampladar is a dangerous job, and one that Rin has done well to survive for so long. However, even though the tribal elders think he’s a bit peculiar, he also has clear talent so he seldom travels alone. Like the traders and the engineers of the Empire, he is considered too valuable to leave his fate to chance.

Creations

Rin is not oblivious to the dangers of the wilds. In fact, he has concocted a few novel surprises of his own to thwart any would-be attacker. Here are three he always carries with him:

Pepper bombs: Confuse and distract an enemy. Rin empties unfertilized eggs and fills the hollow shells with his special blend of herbs and spices. When thrown at an enemy, or crushed on them in melee, the resulting cloud of dust blinds the victim with their own tears, and leaves them feeling like they’re being crawled over by thousands of stinging ants. Inexperienced foes can panic, and even veterans can’t see well enough to fight properly. Rin uses these moments to slip quietly away.

Spear thrower: allows him to throw a spear harder and further than normal. A last resort.

Cargo-carrying mutts: a pair of highly-trained mutts follow Rin around wherever he goes. They each carry bulging panniers, filled with Rin’s experiments, lunch, spare pepper bombs and extra spears. As long as one of them is within arm’s reach, Rin can carry on throwing spears and pepper bombs to his heart’s content.

Kryptovidicus
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 08:33:43 pm »

A very interesting character and cool drawing!
I especially like his creations, the mutts in partical seem like a very fun addition.

Roleplaying games are a bit like a holiday. You visit new places and meet interesting people.
Crucium Giger
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2016, 11:13:46 pm »

I do love the crack pot inventors the Fubarnii tend to throw up once in a while and Rin is a nice addition (love the sketch too).

cruciumgiger.blogspot.com
Quirkworthy
Hatchling

Quirkworthy

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2016, 11:22:54 pm »

Thanks for the comments.

Rin's my entry for this competition, and Mike was kind enough to post him when I lost my forum ID. Sorted a new one out for me too. Hat's off to the big guy Smiley

Jake's gaming blog is quirkworthy.com
Lost Egg
Lord of Engu
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2016, 01:25:25 pm »

I like the slightly chaotic air of this character. I get the feeling that while he may not be oblivious to the dangers of the wild, he doesn't really think they will happen to him...they are more a problem to be solved.

Nice sketch too Smiley
Quirkworthy
Hatchling

Quirkworthy

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2016, 01:52:59 pm »

That's the kind of thing. Head mostly in the clouds, worrying about his latest project rather than the Devanu stalking him...

Jake's gaming blog is quirkworthy.com
Lost Egg
Lord of Engu
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2016, 03:00:19 pm »

Cheesy
TuffSkull
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2016, 12:25:37 pm »

Great entry - nicely rounded notes, cool sketch, and who doesn't like a slightly obsessive engineer! The mental image of a feral on mutt-skates will stay with me.

Gets my mind leaning towards a skid / sled pulled by mutts with a feral riding, but I'd love to see the pannier mutts become a reality. So many options!

Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2016, 01:49:58 pm »

This was a very close second in the contest... I love the idea of sculpting the creator as a young casanii, covered with lots of interesting bits and pieces. He would also need his mutts as well...
Maybe sometime once I've got the kickstarter sculpts finished...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: