The World Of Twilight
March 28, 2024, 09:06:27 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the World of Twilight forum!
Automatic registration has been disabled, but if you are new and wish to register then just send me an email (m.thorp@talk21.com) and I'll sort it out. Don't forget to say what username you would like!

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Salute - your opinions please!  (Read 7625 times)
TuffSkull
Distinguished Engineer

« on: March 28, 2016, 02:46:19 pm »

Hi all,

As many of you know, salute is one of the biggest wargames conventions in Europe ( held at London's Excel centre, April 16th 2016).

And as some of you know I'm one of the mugs volunteers who helps Mike on the day by providing gaming models and running the main demo table.

Last year we had great success using the bug hunt scenario, as it enabled us to get up to five players involved at once, choosing their own forces from 7 or 8 pre-made sets, and get games done in no more than 40 minutes. Perfect.

Thus, for the morning at least, we will be doing the same again, but with even more forces available to choose from (not least casanii!) so new and old players alike have something new to try. 

HOWEVER.....
one things we're thinking about is to run another, one off game later in the day (start say 3:15/3:30pm) to really emphasise the visuals, and the new models.

The idea would be to have a herd of beasts, being attacked by devanu, and defended by the Casanii. It would be aimed at people who have either played before the event, or have taken part in a demo earlier in the day.

This would take a fair amount of extra work in the coming weeks, to paint all the extra models as well as test a new scenario, so we want to gauge interest as best we can.

Should we do it?

For those who are attending - Would you take part if it was going to run for 1hr+?

Are we living in an Anyaral Dream land?

Let us know, Thanks!

Kryptovidicus
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2016, 07:25:10 pm »

I think it is an interesting idea, but if I was attending I would like to see as much from the convention as possible.
While I sure would spend a lot of time at your stand, I probably won't attending in a 1h+ game.
Although, it could be a great eye-catching centerpiece of the stand, so if you could get a few experienced players, willing to duo up with new players to provide assistance, it could attract quite a few new World of Twilight enthousiasts and be a game people talk about after Salute as a wonderful experience.

Roleplaying games are a bit like a holiday. You visit new places and meet interesting people.
discok3
Apprentice

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 07:52:34 pm »

The more painted figures I can see the better but as previously said its a big event and time is at a premium.That said I would love to see a game played through as I've only just bought into it so would love to get involved personally.
hithero
Jenta

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 08:52:42 pm »

Would love to but I'm already helping Alex out with Arcworlde, would have to see how much time I have left at the end of the day, but probably not Sad Salute needs to be a 2 day event really so you have time to see it all and play games.
hithero
Jenta

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2016, 09:17:21 pm »

It appears that non members can't sign up, says registration is currently blocked.
discok3
Apprentice

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2016, 10:42:50 pm »

http://www.worldoftwilight.com/forum/index.php?topic=1724.0
For those who wish to join if that's what you're getting at?
TuffSkull
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2016, 10:52:54 pm »

Thanks for the feedback guys - keep it coming!

This has always been my fear, because I know personally if you're at salute as a general punter, there simply isn't enough time in the day to see and do everything. Equally, the spectacle if we could get just a couple of players might be good.

Besides our table, there is always the mini demo table on the trade stand as well, but that depends how well Mike is functioning by that part in the day to cover basic games.....  Wink

TuffSkull
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2016, 10:54:16 pm »

And just to repeat here - if you can't get on huge forum right now but want to comment on the salute plans, the kickstarter comments section can be used too. I'm nosey and will read everything - I might just copy anything of particular note here for ease of reference as well.

TuffSkull
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2016, 08:55:22 am »

Ok, so we took your input, but talking with & Meeting with Mike at the weekend, it's clear that he'd love to see this concept within his world represented at the show. Thus, it's happening anyway!

But, the scenario is being tweaked and tuned, to allow separate players to drop in and out rather than it run as one continuous "you must stay here for 2 hours" game. Participants can rock up, grab a small force of either devanu or Casanii, and within just a couple of turns will be able to form a core part of a game that's already been running for an hour without them.

So basically, whilst using the new forces involved might benefit from a little experience in the system, it's not a pre-requisit of participation and it will remain an intro game and not a complete time sink.

Oh, and the main outcome is that with less than two weeks to go, I now have a far bigger pile of models to paint, forces to organise, rules to memorise for two completely different scenarios.

We like a challenge Smiley

See you at the show!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 08:57:08 am by TuffSkull » Logged

Danu Kopa
Apprentice

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2016, 02:31:41 pm »

The demo sounds like great fun! Wish I could be there!
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2016, 04:43:17 pm »

Ok, so we took your input, but talking with & Meeting with Mike at the weekend, it's clear that he'd love to see this concept within his world represented at the show. Thus, it's happening anyway!
Why is it always my fault?

This is a scenario I've wanted to do for years! I think it'll be a fun game to see - hopefully Jules will let me off the stand to come and watch for a bit  Smiley
The game itself will have very imbalanced objectives (the Devanu hunting the beasts and the Casanii trying to drive them off), which can be a lot of fun (particularly as Paul will be there as an impartial GM).
TuffSkull
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2016, 06:53:14 pm »

Why is it always my fault?
It's a simple rule which Jules taught me Wink

(particularly as Paul will be there as an impartial GM).

Impartial? Nobody mentioned impartia before! Not after I've spent days painting Casanii, not to mention Erillai!  Roll Eyes

serin
Qualified Engineer

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2016, 07:51:31 pm »

What time is the game likely to start?

If it is a dip in  and out game, Tom and I may drop by and have a go. Though we worked out at the weekend that I think I am yet to actually win a Twilight game, regardless of my opposition!
TuffSkull
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2016, 08:04:22 pm »

Bug hunt will run for the morning and early avo, with forces available for players to choose from pretty much anything other than Kedashi.

Herd Migration will begin 2:30/3pm, featuring Casanii, Devanu and a couple (or more....) beasts

Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2016, 10:18:06 pm »

Bug hunt will run for the morning and early avo, with forces available for players to choose from pretty much anything other than Kedashi

How disappointing  Wink
Can people play as trebarnii?
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: