The World Of Twilight
March 28, 2024, 12:09:38 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the World of Twilight forum!
Automatic registration has been disabled, but if you are new and wish to register then just send me an email (m.thorp@talk21.com) and I'll sort it out. Don't forget to say what username you would like!

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Campaign System WIP, comments and contributions needed.  (Read 8131 times)
Jubal
Engineer of Larigal
Qualified Engineer

« on: January 17, 2011, 06:36:39 pm »

World of Twilight – Tournament Rules

All players start with a 250 point force. No special characters may be bought as part of this, but otherwise all troops, elites and civilians are permitted subject to the following rules.

Special Rules
Delgon must always have at least 1 priest. If they lose their priest they automatically regain one no matter what. Delgon never have troop points after their starting force, but are granted troops by higher level priests.

Devanu must have 1 Kopa – no more, no less! If the Kopa dies a Sempa may be turned into a Kopa immediately, or if there are no Sempa a new one is given for free. Devanu are raised from Jenta (more details later) Other troops can be bought as normal post-battle or at the start of the tournament.

Fubarnii must always have an elite to lead their force, but have no other restrictions.

Scenarios

12   Player with the lower value band chooses.
11   Protect the Caravan
10   Destroy the nest!
9   Pitched Fight
8   Punitive Measures
7   Pitched Fight
6   Take and Hold
5   Pitched Fight
4   Punitive Measures
3   Take and Hold
2   Player with the lower value band chooses.

Scenario Descriptions

Pitched Fight
Forces start with a 24” gap between them. Either player wins by killing all enemy elites on the table, or by killing 150pts more models overall than their opponent.

Take and Hold
Nominate a point at the centre (approx) of the table. The player in control of this at the end of six turns is the winner, with forces starting 24” apart.

Destroy the Nest!
One side are chosen as “defenders”, the others as attackers. (Roll off to decide who) The defending side has five “eggs” or jenta, or relics (fluff to be left up to players), which they must defend. These may not move or be moved, cast 2 oran (never erac) in combat and have a 5+ tough save. The eggs are placed within 6” of the centre of the table, and one model only may be placed with them by the defending player. Otherwise the forces start 24” apart.

The game lasts six turns; if over 3 of the eggs are destroyed the attacker wins, if under 3 the defender. If exactly 3 eggs are left the game is a draw.

Punitive Measures
One side should be gathered around some nests/buildings/temple constructions at their end of the table. They may only place up to half their force there. Five of these should be nominated as objectives.

The other side should be at least 24” away with their whole force. The defending group can add models onto the board; each activation counter spent on this can bring d6 models of their choice on, rolling a 3+ to get each onto the board.

Each building/nest can cast three oran and has a 3+ tough save. The game lasts until either all 5 buildings are destroyed or two turns after the entire defending force has arrived. If the defenders can keep 3 buildings standing they win.

Protect the Caravan

Roll off; the player who rolls lower is given the caravan;
Fubarnii get 2 Baruk and a Trader
Delgon get an additional Priest but who may not use any leadership skills, and a bodyguard.
Devanu get a heavily pregnant Sempa (5+ save, M6, C5, S2, Agility[T], Medium base)

The game ends when the “caravan” is either taken off the opposite table edge or killed. If it can be moved off the edge the caravan side wins, if it is killed the attacker wins.

Post-Battle

For each model removed from play roll a d6; elites recover on a 2+, troops on a 4+.

After the battle players gain upgrade points as follows;
-   1/2 the cost of all models removed from play in the scenario
-   Bonus of 30pts for the winner, split 15 apiece for a draw.

Once 150 upgrade points have been accrued, an upgrade roll may be made.

UPGRADE ROLLS

DELGON

11-12   Gain Roban for your next battle
10   Gain a Priest, 4 bodyguards, and 2 acolytes each with 4 Kal-Joran for your next battle only.
8-9   Gain 2 striders or 1 priest with 3 bodyguards (player’s choice)
7   Gain either 4 Kal-joran or 4 derakeers with an Acolyte (player’s choice).
3-5   Gain d6+2 soldiers, with 1 acolyte if the result is 4 or less and 2 if it is more.
2   You must field one less priest next battle; he is at a convocation. This can cause you to fight a battle without a priest.

DEVANU

12   Gain Arak-Katain for your next d3 battles.
10-11   Coming of age; turn any Jenta into any adult Devanu (but not a Kopa if you already have one)
8-9   75 troop points
7   50 troop points
5-6   30 troop points
3-4   A child is born; gain 1 Devanu Jenta or Jenta beasthandler
2   Your Kopa is injured in a scrap; he only has a 6+ tough save for next battle.

FUBARNII

12   Gain any Fubarnii special character of your choice for your next battle.
10-11   Roll a d3; 1 gain Beru next battle, 2 Brenar, 3 Danomar.
8-9   80 troop points
7   60 troop points
5-6   40 troop points
3-4   20 troop points
2   Gain a trader & 2 baruk attached to your force next battle; if they are all safe gain 10TP, if any die lose 20TP (if this takes you into negatives you must pay it back before buying any new troops).

BUY TROOPS
Delgon clearly do not need to buy troops; for other factions the usual list applies, with troops of any sort buyable freely (excepting of course that the Devanu may only have one Kopa). One Kopa or Knight Captain may be given the commander skill for 30 troop points; this allows them to activate 4 friendly elites (and is only recommended for exceptionally large bands). Devanu may never buy new Devanu; they may only use their troop points for beasts and must rely on raising Jenta except when a Kopa is needed.

WoT Reporter and editor of A Call To Arms.

Jubal
Engineer of Larigal
Qualified Engineer

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 06:39:20 pm »

I apologise for doubleposting but this forum software does not work at all well on my computer - text appears very very slowly when I type and when I do long posts the darn thing always attempts to rapidly scroll upwards.

Anyhow, post #1 is my current ruleset. The scenarios almost certainly need work; I'd minterested to hear what people thing of the system overall. It's intended to have a feel similar to LOTR battle companies if anyone's played that.

Many thanks for all help recieved.

Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 07:05:03 pm »

I like the look of it! I'll get back to you with some more comments when I've had a chance to look in more detail.

The posting thing is annoying! I had that problem using Internet Explorer and have pretty much moved to using Firefox or Safari now because of it...
Jubal
Engineer of Larigal
Qualified Engineer

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 07:48:01 pm »

Aha, replying on FF. Much better.  Cheesy

I'm hoping to get a tournament started at my local club in February, probably using this system and running for 5-7 sessions.

Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 10:35:22 pm »

Some thoughts, in no particular order... Feel free to use/ignore whatever you like!

The Devanu shouldn't have to have a Kopa. They can designate their most valuable Devanu as the leader, whether that is ranked as a Sempa or even a Jenta. A 250pt force with no 'adults' might actually work out okay, although the command structure might be stretched.

I think 'Destroy the Nest' and 'Punitive measures' are actually very similar. I would consider making them two subsets of the same mission, depending on who is defending. Maybe do something like the following, based on the defender (I've not thought these through very carefully, but they use some ideas I was playing with following the scenario comp):
Delgon: Camp defence - the Delgon have pitched their tents for the day, but come under attack. Place 5 baggage carts/tents plus a bunch of other tents (take turns placing tents, all tents must be 6" apart). Each tent holds X troops (specified at start of game). If any models pass within 6" of a tent then it will wake the tent on a roll of a 6. If it is involved in combat or chooses to be noisy then add 2 to the roll.
Devanu: Destroy the Nest! - 5 clutches of eggs around the Devanu nest tree. Limited number of Devanu initially. Reinforcements?
Empire: Punitive measures - Small buildings, possibly with a few civilians to be defended.

Protect the Caravan fits a fairly common type of game, but I'd make some changes.
Each scenario has an 'objective' model, be it a traveller or a carcass. The defender can choose how many objectives they take. They gain points for each objective they get off the table, but lose points for each one that is lost. In order to win the defender must get 1 point off the table for each complete 100pts in their force.
Fubarnii - a mix of traders (2VP), civilians (1VP) and baruk (2VP).
Delgon - Priest convoy. Add more priests (2VP), each with 2 bodyguards (0VP), as you described.
Devanu - Pregnant doesn't really work as the Devanu lays egg material and are fairly active even prior to 'mating'. I'd go for carcasses (2VP) instead. Each carcass is a small base. Any Devanu that is in contact with the model may carry the kill, but must pay 1 stamina each time they move, and an additional stamina if they wish to leap or sprint. Place the carcass in contact with the model after it has finished the movement.

Take and Hold: How does a model hold the Control point? What if neither model holds it?

Defenders in scenarios. I'd suggest some sort of modifier to the roll-off. Devanu should probably always get a +1 to see if they are attackers or defenders.

Upgrade Rolls. No idea how balanced these are, and what the forces would look like a few games in. For the Delgon I would suggest giving an option for each roll so that the commander can choose whether to bolster troops or leadership as it is quite important to maintain a good balance. Maybe you could consider an upgrade after every scenario, but modify the results of the dice roll based on the result of the game?

11-12   Gain Roban for your next battle (Roban does not count as an Elite for morale checking, and if he is killed the game is automatically lost, regardless of other victory conditions)
10   Gain a Priest, 4 bodyguards, and 2 acolytes each with 4 Kal-Joran for your next battle only (if the priest is killed the game is automatically lost, regardless of other victory conditions).
8-9  Gain 2 striders or 1 priest with 3 bodyguards (player’s choice)
7     Gain 4 Kal-joran or 3 derakeers. One model may be replaced by an Acolyte.
5-6  Gain 3 soldiers and 1 derakeer. One model may be replaced by an Acolyte
3-4  Gain 3 soldiers. One model may be replaced by an Acolyte
2   You must field one less priest or two less acolytes next battle; they have been called to a convocation. This can cause you to fight a battle without a priest.

Devanu:
Coming of age - promote a Jenta to a Sempa, or a Sempa to a 'Kopa'.
For the 5-6 option why isn't it just 25pts?

Hope those ideas might be of some use... Remind me to give you the rules for a throwing-spear carrying Devanu Jenta. Might be a good option to have available!
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 08:03:06 pm »

Out of interest, how does LOTR battle companies cope with forces becoming very imbalanced as they progress? Is there any form of balancing mechanism? Or do you just play over a limited number of games and accept that imbalance?
Jubal
Engineer of Larigal
Qualified Engineer

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 08:15:39 pm »

I can't remember what LOTR does. Mordheim gives additional xp to warbands fighting a warband with a significantly higher rated opponent; I could add something like that.

I'll get a second version written up soon, incorporating a lot of your suggestions.

TheGremlin
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 12:47:56 am »

Look nice and rough and ready. I'm fairly certain I have the battle company rules if you need them, but I don't recall any limitations either  Huh
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 10:55:21 am »

Most systems have some sort of self-levelling built into them. As I recall, older GW games (Mordheim, Necromunda, Bloodbowl) didn't worry too much about that, except by giving giant-killer bonuses. The newest versions of Bloodbowl have very complicated balancing, but older versions just threw in additional dirty tricks etc.
For a small run of games it is far less important, as long as everybody ends up playing about the same number of games.
Jubal
Engineer of Larigal
Qualified Engineer

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2011, 11:50:11 am »

OK, here's v2 with quite a lot of those suggestions added in.

World of Twilight – Tournament Rules

All players start with a 250 point force. No special characters may be bought as part of this, but otherwise all troops, elites and civilians are permitted subject to the following rules.

Special Rules
Delgon must always have at least 1 priest. If they lose their priest they automatically regain one no matter what. Delgon never have troop points after their starting force, but are granted troops by higher level priests.

Devanu must have at least one devanu model to lead their force - this can be Jenta, Sempa, or Kopa, but the most expensive model is always the designated leader. Devanu are raised from Jenta (more details later) Other troops can be bought as normal post-battle or at the start of the tournament. If the Devanu force has no Devanu, they get one Jenta for free. Devanu may never have more than one Devanu Kopa.

Fubarnii must always have an elite to lead their force, but have no other restrictions.

Scenarios

12   Player with the lower value band chooses.
11   Pitched Fight
10   Attack!
9   Pitched Fight
8   Attack!
7   Protect the Caravan
6   Take and Hold
5   Pitched Fight
4   Attack!
3   Take and Hold
2   Player with the lower value band chooses.

Scenario Descriptions

Pitched Fight
Forces start with a 24” gap between them. Either player wins by killing all enemy elites on the table, or by killing 150pts more models overall than their opponent.

Take and Hold
Nominate a point at the centre (approx) of the table. The player in control of this at the end of six turns is the winner, with forces starting 24” apart. For each small model within 4" of the point a player gains 1 "hold point", a medium model gives 2 and a large model 3. The player with the most hold points is in control of the point. If nobody has any or hold points are equal (for example, a Devanu is facing off against two knights at the end of the battle), the game is a draw.

Attack!
One side are chosen as “defenders”, the others as attackers. (Roll off, higher value has the choice, Devanu gain a +1). This can be any one of three scenarios, depending on the defender:

Devanu defender: Destroy the Nest!
The defending side has five “eggs”, which they must defend. These may not move or be moved, cast 2 oran (never erac) in combat and have a 5+ tough save. The eggs are placed within 6” of the centre of the table, and up to but not over 50% of the Devanu may be placed with them by the defending player. Otherwise the forces start 24” apart. The defending group can add models onto the board; each activation counter spent on this can bring d3 models of their choice on, rolling a 3+ to get each onto the board.

The game lasts six turns; if over 3 of the eggs are destroyed the attacker wins, if under 3 the defender. If exactly 3 eggs are left the game is a draw.

Empire Defender: Punitive Measures
The centre of the table should contain a cluster of Fubarnii buildings, of which 5 must be nominated objectives. The defending Fubarnii may place d3+2 models within 6" of the centre of the table, and must put the rest of their force at the table edge. There should also be six civilians (C1,S0,M6) in the buildings area, the players take turns to place them.

The other side should be at least 20” away with their whole force. The player in control of the most buildings at the end of six turns is the winner. For each small model put inside the building a player gains 1 "hold point", a medium model gives 2. Large models are assumed to be unable to fit! A building may never contain more than 6 hold points worth of models; models may attack those in the building but are then assumed to be pushed out again if they fail to make enough space to enter. Models within a building are always assumed to be adjacent to one another. The player with the most hold points is in control of the building.

Delgon Defender: Camp assault
The players take turns to place tents within 12" of the centre of the table. Tents must be at least 4" apart, and there should be one for every 6 Delgon models, counting mediums as 3 and larges as 6 (Roban is NOT sharing a tent!). The delgon player may then place 3 sentries between 11 and 13" from the table centre (aka on the edge of the camp), and must then note down which models are in which of the remaining tents. Tents have 3CS defense and a 5+ tough save; destroying one is assumed to kill all models inside. When any model moves within 2" of a tent, roll a d6: on a 5+ the models inside wake up. If there is a combat within 2" or the model is one of the nominated sentries the roll is made a 3+. The enemy must be placed 12" or more from the camp. Either player wins by killing all enemy elites on the table, or by killing 150pts more models overall than their opponent.

Protect the Caravan

Roll off; the player who rolls lower is given the caravan. Devanu get a +1 to the roll.

The caravans are as follows:
Fubarnii - a mix of traders (2VP), civilians (1VP) and baruk (2VP).
Delgon - Priest convoy. Add more priests (2VP), each with 2 bodyguards (0VP), as you described.
Devanu - Carcasses (2VP). Each carcass is a small base. Any Devanu that is in contact with the model may carry the kill, but must pay 1 stamina each time they move, and an additional stamina if they wish to leap or sprint. Place the carcass in contact with the model after it has finished the movement.

The defender can choose how many objectives they take. They gain points as above for each objective they get off the table, but lose points for each one that is lost. In order to win the defender must get 1 point off the opposite table edge for each complete 100pts in their force (So a 250pt force would have to end the game on +2 to win). If they fail to do this the attacker wins.

Post-Battle

For each model removed from play roll a d6; elites recover on a 2+, troops on a 4+.

After the battle players gain upgrade points as follows;
-   1/2 the cost of all models removed from play in the scenario
-   Bonus of 30pts for the winner, split 15 apiece for a draw.
-   If the player you are facing has a warband worth over 100pts more than yours, for every full 100pt advantage they have gain a bonus 25UP after the battle.

Upgrade points may be spent as follows:
150 Roll on the upgrade table
100 Gain d6 rerolls for post-battle recovery
100 Re-roll your next upgrade roll
75 Modify your next upgrade roll by +/- 1
50 Modify your next scenario roll by +/- 1

UPGRADE ROLLS

DELGON

11-12   Gain Roban for your next battle (Roban does not count as an Elite for morale checking, and if he is killed the game is automatically lost, regardless of other victory conditions)
10   Gain a Priest, 4 bodyguards, and 2 acolytes each with 4 Kal-Joran for your next battle only. (If the priest is killed the game is automatically lost, regardless of other victory conditions)
8-9   Gain 2 striders or 1 priest with 3 bodyguards (player’s choice)
7   Gain either 4 Kal-joran or 4 derakeers, one of which may be swapped for an acolyte.
3-5   Gain d6+4 soldiers, Up to 2 of which may be swapped for acolytes.
2   You must field one less priest next battle; he is at a convocation. This can cause you to fight a battle without a priest.

DEVANU

12   Gain Arak-Katain for your next d3 battles.
10-11   Coming of age; turn any Jenta into any Sempa, or any Sempa into a Kopa if you do not already have one.
8-9   75 troop points
7   50 troop points
5-6   30 troop points
3-4   A child is born; gain 1 Devanu Jenta of any sort
2   Your leader is injured in a scrap; their tough save is reduced by one for next battle.

FUBARNII

12   Gain any Fubarnii special character of your choice for your next battle.
10-11   Roll a d3; 1 gain Beru next battle, 2 Brenar, 3 Danomar.
8-9   80 troop points
7   60 troop points
5-6   40 troop points
3-4   20 troop points
2   Gain a trader & 2 baruk attached to your force next battle; if they are all safe gain 10TP, if any die lose 20TP (if this takes you into negatives you must pay it back before buying any new troops).

BUY TROOPS
Delgon clearly do not need to buy troops; for other factions the usual list applies, with troops of any sort buyable freely. One Kopa or Knight Captain may be given the commander skill for 30 troop points; this allows them to activate 4 friendly elites (and is only recommended for exceptionally large bands). Devanu may never buy new Devanu; they may only use their troop points for beasts and must rely on raising Jenta except when a Kopa is needed.

Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2011, 01:10:02 pm »

Looking good. At some point I'll turn this sort of idea into something 'official'...

I prefer the idea of more organic growth for the Devanu (roll three times on an upgrade table with advances such as +2 move, +1 Combat, +1 Stamina, gain a skill etc), as that would create more distinctive Devanu characters as the campaign progresses. The stats would need to be limited though, and the Jenta would end up upgrading some skills as they mature as they have some skills a mature devanu wouldn't tend to have.

How would a Fubarnii player acquire a knight captain? Maybe add a promotion upgrade that either gives a militia captain or turns a militia captain into a knight captain.

I was playing with Delgon tents last night and came up with the following. These are designed to hold 5 soldiers, so might need to be enlarged to hold 6. I've done a word document with four of these on and you can simply print cut and glue them into cones. Send me a pm if you would like me to send you it.

I shrunk it as it was a bit big on the page - if you want to use this one stretch it so that it is about 10cm across.

I don't think that destroying a tent should kill the occupants. Maybe leave them tangled so that they are a disadvantage and can get efficiently butchered? I was simply going to make the tents difficult terrain and not let the occupants activate until the following turn. Priests/Acolytes would also not share with normal troops, although they might share with bodyguards.

Good job with this. I'm going to try it out some time soon.
I sent you a pm earlier this week with a couple of ideas, not sure if you saw it?
Jubal
Engineer of Larigal
Qualified Engineer

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2011, 01:39:51 pm »

In the current system there's nothing to stop players saving up troop buying points, so they should be able to get a KC fine.

I like the idea of distinctive Devanu, but for now I'll leave it since the campaign I'm planning to run with this is going to be new players pretty much entirely. After I've seen how that works I might come back, fiddle around and increase the complexity etc.

I was assuming that they would just get stabbed under the tent fabric as they struggled to get out, as opposed to being directly killed in the collapse.

Brandlin
Official Fubarnii Architect
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2011, 02:34:43 pm »

Tents?

Hmmm now i'm thinking of how to make these convincingly out of laser cut styrene....

no... i have enough to do ... must not get d i s t r a c t e d ...

Brandlin - Home of Laser cut styrene building kits - NOW OPEN!

"Engineers are too precious a resource to let go wandering the open countryside" - Emberbreeze 9/11/11
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2011, 07:37:40 pm »

The idea on the tent was something nice and easy that could just be printed and used. I've got a few sitting in front of me and I'm actually quite pleased with them. Proper full painted resin models would be better, but these have the advantage of being cheap, quick and easy, not to mention easy to store. I can also make as many as I need if I've got a bigger game to play.

Instant death is a nice simple solution for the tents, but a tad harsh if it's Roban in the tent... I'd go for some simple rules for entangling, although that makes things a lot less simple.
I also see your point keeping the Devanu simple! Good plan, even if I want to do a more complete set of rules for advancements at some point... I've just updated the Devanu cards page with a new type of Jenta to open up some ranged attack options.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: