The World Of Twilight
April 20, 2024, 04:04:18 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the World of Twilight forum!
Automatic registration has been disabled, but if you are new and wish to register then just send me an email (m.thorp@talk21.com) and I'll sort it out. Don't forget to say what username you would like!

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cracking Contraptions  (Read 8382 times)
Jubal
Engineer of Larigal
Qualified Engineer

« on: May 16, 2010, 01:52:29 pm »

Here's the current version of my engineering insanity...

Cracking Contraptions
Olanore, Master of Gehran College (Unique) – 40pts
Larigal, the Empire's greatest centre for the crafts and arts of the engineers, is divided into bitterly rival colleges. The greatest and oldest of these is Gehran, and its master Olanore is one of the oldest and wisest Fubarnii Engineers in the Empire. That wisdom, of course, does not mean he is not woefully absent minded, and certainly hasn't given him the necessary common sense to stop accompanying his college's militia regiment on excursions near Larigal in order to look for interesting pebbles or other oddments...
Move: 6
Combat: 1
Support: 0
Tough: 6+
Stamina: 1
Size: Small
Command Range: 6”
Apprentice Master [T]: May have up to three Fubarnii apprentices carrying his experimental weapons. He himself may not carry a weapon.
Absent Minded [T]: The Engineer may not be activated by another model – he can only be activated with an activation counter.
Revered [T]: Apprentices or fubarnii militia gain +1 support when in a combat involving Olanore.
College Master [C]: May activate up to 8 militia, herders, militia captains, apprentices and/or engineers each turn.

Fubarnii Engineer (Civilian) – 35pts
Support: 0
Stamina: 1
Command Range: 6”
Apprentice Master [T]: May activate up to two Fubarnii apprentices.
Rare [T]: Only one Fubarnii Engineer may join the force for every 500 points of Fubarnii troops (so 0-500 1 Engineer, 501-1000 2 Engineers, and so on.) In addition, if an engineer is killed the Fubarnii side loses an activation counter for the remainder of the game (remove one from the bag and put it to one side) as the loss of the engineer is a highly demoralising portent for the Fubarnii forces.
Absent Minded [T]: The Engineer may not be activated by another model – he can only be activated with an activation counter.

An engineer automatically gains any two of the following skills, and may select another two of the following instead of an experimental weapon or contraption.
Tactics, Lad! [A]*: The Engineer may select one friendly troop within 6”, who in turn selects 2 other troops within its command range. They may all make a free cautious movement (though may not use any other activation abilities and do not count as having been activated).
Up and to the left a little… [A]*: The Engineer may select one friendly ranged troop within 6”. The next time that troop fires they may re-cast up to two combat stones of the attack.
There, boy… [A]*: The Engineer may select one friendly mounted troop within 6”. That troop gains +2 movement in their next activation.
Confused orders [A]*: The Engineer may select one enemy troop within 6” that has not yet been activated this turn. He may activate it and get it to move and use any activation abilities it has as if it was on the Fubarnii side. This may never be used to initiate a close combat with a friendly model.
I can teach it tricks! [A]*: The Engineer may select one friendly beast within 6". The beast may re-cast up to two combat stones this turn as if it had the combat trained ability.
Lie of the land [A]*: The Engineer may select up to three enemy models within 6". They may only move cautiously for the remainder of this turn, and may not use any abilities that would increase their movement normally.

Fubarnii Apprentice Engineer (Civilian) – 20pts
Support: 0-1
Stamina: 0
Command Range: 0.5”
Apprentice [T]; The Apprentices may not be activated except via the engineer. If all the Fubarnii Engineers on their side die, the apprentices may be activated normally. They normally have a support value of 0, unless supporting the engineer in which case it increases to 1; while the engineer is adjacent to an apprentice, he may recast one combat stone per apprentice per phase (this recast may be used on a contraption or in combat).

CONTRAPTIONS

Derak [R]
Move up to 3” then make a 3CS blast range attack. Cast an additional stone for any models that are caught Full Blast.

Gushrak [R]
A gushrakeer has 2 stamina.
Gushrak [R]. Move up to 3". Make 2CS blast attack. Cast an additional stone for any models that are caught Full Blast. May use one or more of following:
- More Power*. Cast one more CS for all attacks.
- Wide Spray*. Place an additional blast template when selecting targets. Each target is only hit once.

Net Firer [R]
May be fired in the engineer's activation if he has not moved. Select 1 unobstructed enemy model within 8. Make a 5CS ranged attack against the target, then when the number of successful hits is found consult the chart below;
0   Nothing happens.
1   Tangled: The model may not move until the end of its next activation, but may fight and use abilities as normal.
2   Netted: The model may not move until the end of its next activation, and if engaged or shot at may use one less combat stone than it normally could.
3+   Hopelessly Enmeshed: As with netted, but this also prevents the model from using any abilities until the end of its next activation.

If all the stones are miscast, the engineer/apprentice him/herself becomes "Netted."

Mechanical Sling [R]
May be fired in the engineer’s activation if he has not moved. Make a 3CS ranged attack against one target within 18”. If all three erac cast successfully, the attacked model must take its tough save at -1.

Ornithomata [R]
These are small mechanical flying darts that an Engineer designed to attack Devanu jenta, after noting that a small flying animal living nearby successfully stopped one eating it by flying at it and scratching at its eyes. The model with the Ornithomata only starts with d6+4 of them. Move up to 3", then select a target within 18". Choose to attack with 1, 2, or 3 Ornithomata, and use that many combat stones. As the Ornithomata attack at close range, the attack counts as a Close Combat attack, but such is the difficulty it takes to avoid them that each successful Erac in the attack takes 2 Oran to counter.

Grappling Claw [A]
May be used in the engineer’s activation if he is engaged with an enemy. Make a 6CS attack against the target with the target only casting Oran and the Apprentice only casting Erac, then when the number of successful hits is found consult the chart below;
0   Total Failure: The enemy model may attack the engineer if they wish, the engineer is unable to respond as the claw has jammed and he cannot defend himself.
1   Glances off: The enemy model may, if they wish, initiate a free round of combat with the engineer.
2   Grapples: Initiate a combat with the enemy model. The enemy model may use as many or as few stones as they wish. The engineer may use the same number of stones, though does not benefit from the opponent’s combat abilities.
3   Holds: Initiate a combat with the enemy model, using up to the opponent’s maximum number of stones (engineer’s choice). The enemy may use up to one less than the same number of stones, though does not benefit from the opponent’s combat abilities.
4+   Grabs Tight: Initiate a combat with the enemy model. The enemy model may not attack the engineer, but the engineer may use the opposing model’s number of combat stones for the combat.

Note that in none of the above combats may either side benefit from support, and that the claw cannot be used in combat phases, only in activations, as it takes a long time to set up for use.

Flaming Staff [A]
May be used once per turn by the engineer when engaged with an enemy. If used in the activation phase, the engineer may disengage with the enemy, who may then not re-engage with him for the remainder of the turn. If used in a combat phase, it decreases the enemy combat pool by –1 as they recoil from the flames and adds +2 to the combat and support stats of the Engineer, though all extra stones gained in this way must be cast as Erac.

Trained Garkrid [A][R]
This small flying animal has been trained to carry messages or attack nearby foes with its vicious claws. The Engineer/Apprentice must select one friendly elite within their combat range. That elite may then, in their next activation, activate one friendly elite anywhere within 18”. If the Engineer/Apprentice does not use this ability they may use the Garkrid to make a 1CS ranged attack against 1 enemy model within 18”.

Balloon [A]
This may only be taken by an engineer with 0-1 apprentices. The Engineer may move over enemy models if he has sufficient movement, and gains +9 movement (for a total of 15). One other model at a time may accompany him in the balloon. Models in the balloon may not make combat attacks or blast range attacks, but may make other ranged attacks as normal. The balloon must cast two oran to be able to move. If both fail, the balloon is grounded this turn and models inside may be attacked as normal. The balloon may also be landed at any point in its movement, in which case the same thing applies. In either case, as long as the Engineer is alive the balloon may attempt to take off next turn.

SCENARIO; Defence at All Costs

FORCES
Defenders - Fubarnii Empire
1 Fubarnii Engineer
1 Fubarnii Apprentice
1 Militia Captain
4 Fubarnii Militia
4 Fubarnii Herders

VERSUS

Attackers - 300 pts of any WoT force

RULES
Setup on a 4'x4' table. The defender sets up within a 12" quarter-circle of one corner (preferably with a few Fubarnii houses around them), the attacker may put their models anywhere 15" away from any Fubarnii models.

The Fubarnii defenders win if all enemy elites are killed or by killing over half the enemy starting models.
The attackers are attempting to get past the defenders; they win by getting over half their starting models off the table edges inside the Fubarnii start area.

----------------------------------------------
NOTES

I've tried to make each piece of weaponry of a very similar strength, so these should be swappable for each other.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 05:50:13 pm by Jubal » Logged

WoT Reporter and editor of A Call To Arms.

Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 07:08:40 pm »

Have you ever tried the scenario out? How did it go?
Jubal
Engineer of Larigal
Qualified Engineer

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 09:04:42 pm »

I'd love to say I had, but every WoT battle I've played since I wrote these rules fully has been a training battle as I try to build up enough of a corps of players to have a tournament sometime later this year... I'll get it tested when I can (though exams probably ought to be factored in for the next month or so. Tongue)

Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 06:12:38 pm »

Building up a corps of players? I like the sound of that  Grin
If you manage to arrange a tournament then let me know and I'll see what I can do in the way of a few little prizes.
I don't envy you the exams...
Jubal
Engineer of Larigal
Qualified Engineer

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 11:32:17 am »

I should possibly work on this a bit more sometime, I'd quite like to get some of the stuff better tested and possibly PDF-ified...

Does anyone have any thoughts on obvious improvements? Would these rules be better if they were simpler?

Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 09:00:59 am »

I like the idea of the crazy inventions, and it would be great to see them refined a bit further. The main challenge is avoiding making the engineers too good - they aren't a typical member of the fighting forces.
One option would be to have a standard engineer, and to then make the inventions random. Another thought is that the loss of an engineer is generally seen as a very bad thing. I was thinking you could have an trait whereby if an engineer is killed the Empire player immediately loses one activation stone for the rest of the game. That would make the engineers useful, but a touch hazardous to field.
Another idea might be to make this a very specific theme-force list.

I was thinking that Confused orders might be a bit too powerful, but given that it only works on a troop I think it actually works very well. I wouldn't limit it to one use per model, but I would say that it can't be used to initiate an attack against a friendly model (otherwise it'd be devastating when used against KalJoran!).
Tactics Lad - Possibly the free movement should have to be Cautious?
Jubal
Engineer of Larigal
Qualified Engineer

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 05:13:57 pm »

Another possibility might be to have to roll a dice when you activate the engineer; on a 2 or 1 he gets distracted and spends the time looking at a rather interesting pattern of stones on the ground. But yeah, the activation counter thing would be good.

I'll edit confused & TL as per your suggestions.  Smiley

Jubal
Engineer of Larigal
Qualified Engineer

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2011, 12:23:38 pm »

Okay, several edits made. Added a balloon, limited activation abilities to two or four depending on if the engineer is armed, and added 2 more activation abilities. Also put all of mike's suggestions in.

I'd quite like to hammer this into a general set of rules everyone can use - I might have an additional modification or two for Larigal's own force, but I have a genuinely generic set of rules as my starting aim. Given that, should I remove Olanore from this rules-set, as he's very much a Larigalian character?

I'm less sure than I was about allowing 2 apprentices per engineer; it might make more sense to limit it to one weapon/contraption per engineer, except that that might make the balloon a bit pointless unless the engineer's going to cart around a herder all the time. Thoughts?

Jubal
Engineer of Larigal
Qualified Engineer

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2011, 10:37:06 am »

Anyone got any ideas for a Fubarnii version of the new Gushrak rules?

Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2011, 11:31:33 am »

A simple option would be to drop down the pressure dangers. It only has 2 stamina, but no risk of explosion. Or you could simply use the rules exactly the same as for the KalGush, but limit availability a lot.
Jubal
Engineer of Larigal
Qualified Engineer

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2011, 02:32:57 pm »

That sounds a plan; any thoughts on whether Olanore should be left in and apprentice/engineer ratios re my post before last?

Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2011, 05:29:22 pm »

Keep Olanore, but mention in his fluff that he rarely ventures from Larigal.
I'll come up with a more generic rule for apprentices at some point, but up to you if you would like to keep them. I do think that three weapons would be out of place on the table, and the apprentices should perhaps have a different sort of ability, perhaps giving a single stone recast to the engineer if they are adjacent, or just acting as ablative armour?
I've removed 'cumbersome' from ranged weapons now, and they are all effectively cumbersome unless otherwise mentioned. Beru also lost his 3" move when firing the derak as it is a tad heavy. Possibly change the derak for the engineer so that it is either the same as a delgon derak (move and fire at CS3) or Beru's (move or fire, but CS4). Both should have +1CS for full blast.
Jubal
Engineer of Larigal
Qualified Engineer

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2011, 05:53:16 pm »

Done. That the sort of thing you meant?

I really need to get a copy of the new rulebook, but my darn bank account needs an upgrade to allow me to do things more advanced than removing cash. :/

EDIT: Should engineers be 5+ on their saves?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 08:25:59 pm by Jubal » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: