The World Of Twilight
March 29, 2024, 03:02:04 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the World of Twilight forum!
Automatic registration has been disabled, but if you are new and wish to register then just send me an email (m.thorp@talk21.com) and I'll sort it out. Don't forget to say what username you would like!

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: my delgon  (Read 13876 times)
TuffSkull
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2014, 08:37:45 pm »

I dont remember seeing this thread before, and since its been resurrected now - very nice work! Good to see a delgon force with a slightly different feel to them, and the basing really sets them apart.

Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2014, 10:58:46 am »

Nice to see the old thread resurrected! It's a nice alternate colour scheme that doesn't seem too far off the standard one, but has a unique feel. The delgon do have paler, greyer skin than their southern cousins, but these capture that well.
Kryptovidicus
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2014, 05:46:36 pm »

Very well painted and good looking force. I also like the NMM on the weapons and armour.
The only mini I'm not really a fan of is the strider. His legs don't match his torso.

Roleplaying games are a bit like a holiday. You visit new places and meet interesting people.
NickH
Jenta

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2014, 06:13:42 pm »

I thought the legs were metal whilst the armour is usually organic (EG hardened leather), possibly painted for elite units.
Kryptovidicus
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2014, 06:32:21 pm »

I thought the legs were metal whilst the armour is usually organic (EG hardened leather), possibly painted for elite units.

True, but it doesn't enhance the way the miniature looks.
I think the strider would look a lot better if the legs were a bit darker.
Everything looks really well painted though. It's just some constructive criticism.

Roleplaying games are a bit like a holiday. You visit new places and meet interesting people.
NickH
Jenta

« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2014, 06:56:21 pm »

I think the strider would look a lot better if the legs were a bit darker.
Everything looks really well painted though. It's just some constructive criticism.
Agreed.
Also the weapon blade and armour DO match.

Just spotted that the legs match the weapon's 'handle' but not the counterweight.

I still like the figure and the overall colour palette.
Plus there's no way I could match the precision of the painting technique.
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2014, 08:52:50 am »

The Fubarnii use various resins for creating armour - the resins are secreted by different types of garkrid which are farmed for that very purpose (Danakan's family are wealthy Garkrid farmers, produsing resins specifically for ship building). These resins are applied to a basic structure (which may be fibrous or something like leather) or moulded to shape with some sort of additive to increase the strength.
The basic components of Strider legs and delgon armour are mass produced in several large factories across the Delgon territories and there are some differences in production method between the factories. As a rule I would suggest that the panels on the delgon legs would be resin, with some metal components.
Maccioniath's paintscheme looks good though and it's perfectly reasonable for the legs not to match the armour (although I would generally tie them together with at least some of the plates in the same colour as the armour).
NickH
Jenta

« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2014, 09:36:30 am »

The Fubarnii use various resins for creating armour - the resins are secreted by different types of garkrid which are farmed for that very purpose (Danakan's family are wealthy Garkrid farmers, produsing resins specifically for ship building). These resins are applied to a basic structure (which may be fibrous or something like leather) or moulded to shape with some sort of additive to increase the strength.
The basic components of Strider legs and delgon armour are mass produced in several large factories across the Delgon territories and there are some differences in production method between the factories. As a rule I would suggest that the panels on the delgon legs would be resin, with some metal components.
Maccioniath's paintscheme looks good though and it's perfectly reasonable for the legs not to match the armour (although I would generally tie them together with at least some of the plates in the same colour as the armour).
Thanks for this, it will be really useful when I get to paint some striders.

Will this information be included in the new book?
Kryptovidicus
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2014, 10:27:19 am »

I agree with Nick. I said it before in another topic as well.
There is such a rich background and so much useful information to base your own force on or simply enjoy reading.
It is a bit of a shame it isn't bundled somewhere.
If it isn't going to be in the compilation book it would be cool to see a setting book with artwork and fluff and perhaps some terrain making advise. I would definitely buy it and since the community has grown a lot since the KS I think it will be rather popular. On top of that it could be an excellent starting point if someone wants to play rpg's in the world of twilight. In whatever rules system they prefer.

NickH
Jenta

« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2014, 01:20:09 pm »

Ok, a follow up question for Carcharoth.
If strider legs are made of composites (fibre reinforced natural resins) with metal reinforcement for strength in key points, could deraks be made in the same way?

If a derak were all metal it would be far too heavy to hold but I'm looking at the sculpt and the construction technique looks similar to those of a strider's legs. I'm thinking that maybe deraks are actually of composite construction like the 'leather guns' of the early 17th century http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leather_cannon.

The real-world leather cannon did not work because leather is too good an insulator but maybe the fubarnii engineers have developed specially formulated resins that avoid this problem?
Kryptovidicus
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2014, 01:53:15 pm »

I remember seeing a wood pattern on the derak of Beru.
So perhaps it is resined wood.

Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2014, 02:14:11 pm »

I think of them as having resin barrels rather than being solid metal.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: