The World Of Twilight
April 25, 2024, 11:44:22 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the World of Twilight forum!
Automatic registration has been disabled, but if you are new and wish to register then just send me an email (m.thorp@talk21.com) and I'll sort it out. Don't forget to say what username you would like!

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Varnish and stuff  (Read 13269 times)
Jubal
Engineer of Larigal
Qualified Engineer

« on: April 08, 2011, 10:43:41 pm »

I'm planning to start a total revamp of my Fubarnii - the paint needs retouching on everything, some models prolly need to just have another basecoat put on and the paintjob started anew, and I really, really, really need a proper carrying case. I can get away with my ice cream tub system for WHFB dwarfs since they're all fairly chunky, but the number of bent Fubarnii spears it's producing doesn't bear thinking about. :S

So anyhow, two technical queries for the paint-inclined;
- Do you put any sort of varnish on your models, and if so what?
- If you want to wholly re-paint a model, how do you go about it?

WoT Reporter and editor of A Call To Arms.

Geckilian
Hunter of Orelan
Distinguished Engineer

NuraSen'Malog

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 10:48:24 pm »

I use matt varnish on the Delgon as that's what holds the 'snow' on, but otherwise I only use matt varnish if the figure is a bit shiny. For proper protection I'd recommend a coat of gloss varnish followed by matt - though it can dull highlights slightly.

As for repainting, with metal figures I strip them in nitromors, which is nasty stuff - never let it touch your skin or any plastic you care about, as it melts both. Utterly cleans a metal figure though, and after a good rinse in a bucket of cold water it's pretty much good as new. to start again with.

Jubal
Engineer of Larigal
Qualified Engineer

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 10:56:33 pm »

Thanks, will experiment on the varnishes.

I'll see how many models need a repaint; if it's only two or three getting some powerful solvents might be more expensive than a HF order...

Ben Brownlie
Colouring In Bloke
Development Team
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 11:10:57 pm »

For proper protection I'd recommend a coat of gloss varnish followed by matt - though it can dull highlights slightly.

Yep, and for display just go straight with the matt, or a mid way point + matt
Jubal
Engineer of Larigal
Qualified Engineer

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 11:07:36 pm »

So what brand of varnish do you guys use, and where do you get it?

Geckilian
Hunter of Orelan
Distinguished Engineer

NuraSen'Malog

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 11:09:38 pm »

I use Humbrol matt, comes in a small can and is available in Modelzone, though most people I know of swear by Testors Dullcoat.

Brandlin
Official Fubarnii Architect
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 12:04:11 am »

any gloss varnish - get it from diystores in bug spray cans - for hard wearing.

but then 2 coats of testors dullcote to take the shine off

Brandlin - Home of Laser cut styrene building kits - NOW OPEN!

"Engineers are too precious a resource to let go wandering the open countryside" - Emberbreeze 9/11/11
Scalifano
Spam-hunter
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 01:43:08 am »

any gloss varnish - get it from diystores in bug spray cans - for hard wearing.

but then 2 coats of testors dullcote to take the shine off

Pretty much what I do too (when I ever get a chance to paint). 

Usually spray the model with Krylon Crystal Clear Acrylic followed by a coat or two of Testors Dullcote if needed.
Caerban
Hatchling

Dan-dan-daaaaaaaaaaah!!

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 07:53:53 am »

I tend to paint on varnish because I don't paint many minis. For that I use a Miniature Paints gloss for a couple of coats then finish with Testors Dullcote for a matt finish. However, I've rediscovered matt sprays at the moment for other projects and can recommend both the Humbrol and Army Painter Anti-shine.
For stripping I'll use whatever I have to hand but mostly at the moment I use either Dettol (which requires a little extra cleaning work but is plastic-resin safe and makes your minis smell nice) or De-Solv-it: Great Strip which I pick up from Homebase (dunno what international retailers might carry it, there's a website though). Great Strip is really good and easy to use unlike Nitro Mors and as far as I've seen isn't harmful to resins and plastics.

If you don't stop playing with it, it'll come off in your hand!
Ben Brownlie
Colouring In Bloke
Development Team
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2011, 11:00:02 am »

If you are going to use Testor's (either spray or brush on) I would very strongly suggest using a gloss varnish first as it tends to eat acryllic paint a little bit.

For matt I'm surrently using Army Painter "Anti Shine Matt Varnish" spray and it is dead flat (as good as or better than Testor's) and also doesn't eat paint, but for gaming pieces I would still use something else underneath first for durability reasons.
Lost Egg
Lord of Engu
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2011, 12:32:29 pm »

I just use a coat of Vallejo matt varnish, painted on.

HN
Brandlin
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2011, 09:06:17 pm »

Neve had a problem with testors "eating" paint. Ut then I've had ba experiences with army paintercsprays too.

Varnish and sprays are a Very personal thing. They are subject to temperature, humidity dust, the cured natural of the underlying paint and othe factors. Sometimes it's easy to recommend something other people will laugh at.

"Engineers are too precious a resource to let go wandering the open countryside" - Emberbreeze 9/11/11
haukr
Jenta

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2011, 06:59:12 am »

For varnish I tend to use GW:s spray varnish, mostly because it's what's readily available where I'm at. Haven't tried the Army Painter version yet. For reasons I can't remember you can't get Testors Dullcoat in Sweden anymore, which is a bit of a bummer, since a lot of people seems to swear by it, and not just here.

As for stripping piant I just use petrol in a glass jar if it's a metal figure, which seems to work just fine. Haven't bothered with finding anything for plastics yet.

Brandlin
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2011, 06:23:31 pm »

For reasons I can't remember you can't get Testors Dullcoat in Sweden anymore, which is a bit of a bummer, since a lot of people seems to swear by it.

The eu banned the original recipe as it had (from memory) toluene in it. They devised a new recipe which became available last year? Does Sweden have similar restrictions?

Megatron0
Merchant of Enipel
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2011, 12:44:31 am »

For varnish I use GW purity seal. Its a non gloss coat and it also protects your paint from chipping. well worth it! and a single can will last forever. Also, as it hasn't been mentioned, are the perils of varnish. Just be careful when you apply it that the air isnt to humid, as what will happen is that your model will become cloudy or almost white, ruining the paint-job. Another bit of advice is to shake extremely well before use, I have seen paint-jobs ruined where people haven't shaken properly and small flecks of hardened varnish get trapped on the model making it look like it has been covered in ash.
That isn't to scare you off varnish! by all means I wouldnt dream of finishing a model without a coat but be aware of the problems and you can avoid them Smiley
Finally! if you can get a hold of some nitromors it will strip your model perfectly (no plastics though!)

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: