The World Of Twilight
March 29, 2024, 12:51:14 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the World of Twilight forum!
Automatic registration has been disabled, but if you are new and wish to register then just send me an email (m.thorp@talk21.com) and I'll sort it out. Don't forget to say what username you would like!

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Arak Katain Rules suggestions...  (Read 10141 times)
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« on: May 21, 2010, 05:59:48 pm »

Let me know if you do create some rules!

You could simply use him as a beefed up Kopa with +1 Stamina. Alternatively you could give him Rapid Recovery (see Roban's stats), but that is a very nasty ability! I am considering giving him Momentum (WIP name) +1 stamina each time he kills a model, which would also help a lot if he is ever overwhelmed by Fubarnii (repeated assassinations...). I do expect he'll lose Leap in favour of something else as he looks a bit too solid to be leaping around too much!
darth tater
Darth Teaser - Twilight Playtester
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 06:11:46 pm »

Didn't I have an ability like that in my dood ideas?
Hmmmmmmmmmm

How to create a bad ass.......

Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 06:14:14 pm »

Didn't I have an ability like that in my dood ideas?

Quite possibly! I did say I might steal anything that looked good  Grin
(although it is probably also stolen from WM among other games...)
darth tater
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 06:42:30 pm »

found it.....

I called it "Ravenous" - this model gains +1 stamina per enemy model killed this activation. Can go above starting total

I also reckon Commander.

Possibly lose sprint and leap in favour of something like "toughened hide" - gains 3+ save or "cold blooded" - number of successful eracs cast by opponent are halved when determining number of erac needed to defend.

Maybe a version of my "berserk" or "counter attack".......powerful abilities though......

I see him as a slower tank, a force of nature on the field. When he's in combat he should explode into bestial fury!

Move: 10
Combat: 8
Support: 2
Tough: 3+
Stamina: 5

Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 07:14:05 pm »

Fair points - I had certainly been assuming he'll have Commander. I think he will need sprint in some form. I was wondering at Move 8" with a 4" sprint to slow him down a bit.

As for Combat 8? Yikes that would hurt!
I would go for 4+ save at best, but I might consider giving him Very Tough so he can reroll it.

He needs one or two unique abilities up his sleeve, but I need to think about details...
darth tater
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 07:34:05 pm »

Regular Kopa is 6CS, 8 doesn't appear overly ott as you can only roll 6 erac at most......... Wink

Jubal
Engineer of Larigal
Qualified Engineer

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 09:39:39 pm »

Some sort of "Armour-Breaker" ability, with that sword of his? This could allow him to use successful erac to decrease an opponent's save rather than make them take more saves. Thus if the opponent is a knight (4+), and Arak had 4 erac successful at the end of the combat, he could instant-kill by using 3 to reduce the save to nothing and the last to deliver the coup de grace.

WoT Reporter and editor of A Call To Arms.

Brandlin
Official Fubarnii Architect
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2010, 11:50:23 pm »

a suggestion from a non game player (but i HAVE read the rules so am clearly "an expert" by the wikipedia definiiton)

as the devanu are more... feral... and ferocious than the fubarnii, why not give him a twist to the commander ability, somehow reflecting that his command comes from an alpha male type position rather than a co-operative organised rank like the fubarnii.

Maybe alpha-male means he can activate models but only in order to move them directly into contact with an enemy?

Brandlin - Home of Laser cut styrene building kits - NOW OPEN!

"Engineers are too precious a resource to let go wandering the open countryside" - Emberbreeze 9/11/11
Rick
Enasa Merchant Lord
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2010, 01:37:18 am »

I dunno, I think that might be very limiting. How about - Alpha Male*: Any Devanu Sempa within Arak Katain's command range may use sprint once, at no stamina cost, but only if that would enable them to move into contact with an enemy (one use per turn).
Emberbreeze
Development Team
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2010, 03:24:08 pm »

My thoughts as to his combat potential is he should be able to kill any current fubarnii (one on one) given average rolls, and tire out another devanu without exhausting himself. As for what could take him down. a group of cavalry with a captain should have a good shot at exhausting him. Roban should be able to win 80% of the time, although perhaps over a few combat rounds. Milita should have to throw troops at him all day long to bring him down.

Arak   Mv8   Tough 4+   CS7    Support 0      Stamina 6   
Command 12   
Commander   
Sprint 5"   
Combat Discipline   
Very Tough   
Back foot   exchange two successful attack for a defence
Ravenous   regain 1 stamina if Akak killed a model in this combat phase

Very difficult to kill, not quite as good in combat (goes for a brute force approach), but can fight all day if necessary 

« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 03:37:33 pm by Emberbreeze » Logged

Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2010, 08:26:47 am »

We had a couple of games last night to try out Ben's take on Arak Katain, as well as having some of our first Devanu vs Devanu games. Hopefully Ben will post some more details of his scenario, but basically it involved Arak, a couple of Sempa and a few Kosok vs a challenging Kopa, a couple of Sempa and a couple of jenta. We reduced sprint down to 4" and changed Ravenous back to my wording for 'Momentum' so that Arak regains a stamina at the end of a combat if he killed anything (rather than combat phase). I'm still not sure Back foot is that useful as it is, but I could be proved wrong.

Arak didn't have a great night of it and ended up losing both games. I think the problem in both games was that Arak over extended and then got taken down by the other Kopa - he's good in combat, but not that much better than a standard Kopa, particularly having lost feint and dodge. Arguably those abilities give the other Kopa the edge in a stand-up fight. It turns out that 'feint' proves to be particularly effective against other Devanu (a couple of times Arak spent lots of stamina carefully tailoring his attacks only to watch his opponent feint out of the way and deliver a crushing attack...).

We now need to try him against some more standard opponents...
Emberbreeze
Development Team
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2010, 04:35:54 pm »

The only issue with the rules for Arak v's other devanu was the feint, which cost him so much stamina. Perhaps a better tactic is to go all out for the kill and use stamina for rerolls, which was usually an afterthought. Needs more testing against other devanu and fubranii

Koya
Jenta

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2010, 10:50:14 pm »

It feels kind of wrong to be commenting when I've never played the game, but I think having a combat score higher than 6 feels wrong, simply because that's how many of each combat stone you get. Sure, it's easy for many existing models to boost above that with support and special abilities, but it just doesn't feel.. neat I suppose is the term, if a character's basic attack throws too many stones for you to have all one or the other.

Just throwing out thoughts here, but it seems to me Devanu have no shortage of aggressive, killy models. What if arak's defining feature over the rest of his species is that he's smart and organized rather than simply tough (which kind of comes with the Devanu territory), kind of a natural leader type who could realistically return his species to prominence if given the right opportunities. Even his sword could theoretically be a status thing, or even an old ceremonial relic from the Devanu empire which he's recovered or inherited. Given that, what about giving him a decent blend of useful abilities from the generic Kopa set as well as leadership abilities like Commander (perhaps instead of leap). Maybe even an ability which gives him extra support stones from other elites, to encourage him to work with other devanu. Not sure if any of this would work or make sense, but just throwing out ideas. Smiley
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 11:10:03 pm by Koya » Logged
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2010, 03:16:53 pm »

I am kinda in agreement that a Combat ability of 6 seems like a natural limit, and that would somehow feel nice and neat. It might be better to give him stamina abilities that allow him that sort of boost.

Arak's sword is either a souvenir or he is using it briefly - it is one of the heavy swords used by Delgon bodyguards, so their is a little bit of recent (bloody) history to that weapon.

One thought I had been mulling over would be to help Arak bring the best out in other devanu - 'Encouragement*' (or something more devanu-like): A Devanu within Arak's command range immediately gains one stamina.
Combined with Rapid Recovery that could allow Arak to support his other devanu quite effectively - encouraging a tired Devanu to get out of a difficult spot when it would otherwise be in serious trouble.
Brandlin
Official Fubarnii Architect
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2010, 04:50:48 pm »

Or of course the limit on 6  attack or defend stones is wrong.

It does strike me that the limit is a logistical one of the number of stones you provided with the game rather than a logical or rules mechanic limit.

You cold always sell addiitonal stones with the arak model?

Brandlin - Home of Laser cut styrene building kits - NOW OPEN!

"Engineers are too precious a resource to let go wandering the open countryside" - Emberbreeze 9/11/11
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: