The World Of Twilight
March 28, 2024, 04:16:59 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the World of Twilight forum!
Automatic registration has been disabled, but if you are new and wish to register then just send me an email (m.thorp@talk21.com) and I'll sort it out. Don't forget to say what username you would like!

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Gilbear's other painted models...  (Read 12469 times)
Major_Gilbear
Jenta

« on: April 28, 2011, 07:55:34 pm »

Well, as I'm such a slow painter, I thought I'd post a more recent project up until I have some Twilight to post.

It was painted around summer last year (told you I was slow Tongue) and is a Guild crew for Malifaux. I present Perdita Ortega, and her family (click on the image for an embiggened version):

All comments and criticisms welcome! (And yes, I already know my photography is lacking a bit of focus/lighting, sorry... Undecided )
Geckilian
Hunter of Orelan
Distinguished Engineer

NuraSen'Malog

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 08:14:33 pm »

Those are some lovely Ortegas! I really need to get around to finishing all my Arcanists and Outcasts...

Lost Egg
Lord of Engu
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 09:22:56 pm »

Cool. They look like a right bunch of cowboys!  Wink

HN
darth tater
Darth Teaser - Twilight Playtester
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 10:59:16 pm »

wow stunning Ortega's! 

Malifaux is a cool game, I have Rasputina's and Seamus's crews Smiley

Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 11:01:15 pm »

Those are lovely models.
I've got the rules, but I've never had the time to collect a force and play  Sad
darth tater
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 11:08:07 pm »

The card based aspect of it and "cheating fate" is really cool......you do have a ton of special abilities and things to keep track of though.....Sad

Geckilian
Hunter of Orelan
Distinguished Engineer

NuraSen'Malog

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 11:10:27 pm »

Ramos and leveticus mainly here. My other half has learned that Pandora does not like Leveticus, ohoho. Good choice on Seamus, I've got him around somewhere, but never used.

darth tater
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011, 11:13:49 pm »

Seamus and his undead hookers are awesome! I have his copycat killer which is a fun little mini aswell Smiley

Leveticus has a reputation of being one of the hardest to master....

Brandlin
Official Fubarnii Architect
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 11:24:45 pm »

I have a small number of the minis actually painted!

http://brandlin.blogspot.com/2009/02/slow-start-to-year-blog-wise-but-i-have.html

Brandlin - Home of Laser cut styrene building kits - NOW OPEN!

"Engineers are too precious a resource to let go wandering the open countryside" - Emberbreeze 9/11/11
Major_Gilbear
Jenta

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2011, 11:26:34 pm »

Thanks for the comments!

Malifaux is a great game; I feel it takes the best bits of WM, and combines them with very clever card mechanics. The rules are tricky because there are a fair few odd interactions, and because Wyrd have grown *fast* and I feel the guys are struggling to keep up a bit! The game revolves around scenarios (primary objectives) and schemes (secondary objectives) which are partly random, and partly chosen. The hard-to-remember stuff is on the model cards too, which really helps. If you like WM but wish there was more story and fewer models, then it is probably the game for you.

I have rather a lot of crews, but only the Ortegas are finished. Rasputina's lot are close to being done however, and there are eight more crews to follow after that... Should get them finished when I'm about 80!  Cheesy

Anyway, another huge love of mine is 6mm Sci-Fi. Namely Epic40k, of which I have a rather obscene amount (but still much less than 'hardcore' collectors!). I started a Squat force for it recently (end of 2010), but work and then the Christmas break intervened soon after and I still have to get back to them. I only have a (poor) finished picture of the Colossus war engine:

The Brotherhood on their custom bases are still awaiting some love:

And finally, the Goliaths are actually 80% done, including their bases (which are finished), but no progress or finished pic yet. I do have this one showing where they began prior to their undercoat though:

darth tater
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2011, 11:34:35 pm »

nice minis mate!   Smiley

darth tater
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2011, 11:35:57 pm »

I have a couple of 6mm armies for Future War Commander

I love the dark realm Andrayadans Smiley

Geckilian
Hunter of Orelan
Distinguished Engineer

NuraSen'Malog

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2011, 12:08:10 am »

Very nice Squats there! That's making me want to paint my AdMech titans, blimey. Now I want to get more done on not only Malifaux, but Epic too. Poor Twilight!

Lost Egg
Lord of Engu
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2011, 07:10:20 am »

Squats...? Didn't they all get eaten by Tyranids?  Wink

I like the paint job on the Colossus. Any plans to add runes?

HN
Major_Gilbear
Jenta

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2011, 01:51:27 pm »

Well, I did want to add some insignia in white, but not the classic Norse/Celtic runes. I always liked the way the Squats were portrayed in Epic, and hated them in WH40k. So when I got mine, I thought about what I most liked about them and their background, and came up with:

- They are essentially "human", and were descended from early colonists to the high-grav worlds near the centre of the galaxy.

- They are very strongly influenced by their engineers and by technology, which they need(ed) to survive in the hostile environments.

- They are introspective and insular.

- They are a lot like the Ad-Mech, and use a lot of the same equipment (and used to have ties to them too).

So I decided to make them an Ad-Mech flavoured army, and use a similar colour scheme too. That would allow me to cross a lot of the common equipment over to a future Ad-Mech army if I ever wanted to. The reds, greys and metals also fit in very well with the colours and minerals of their home worlds.

For the insignia, I wanted to do some techy Ad-Mech style runes/symbols, but incorporating a few 'classic' Squat symbols too - anvils, hammers, wings etc. I felt that doing all the insignia at the end would be best though, as I could judge what I wanted and where more easily then, and then do them all at once.

The army has all kinds of things I wanted to add: lots of super-heavy war engines, Thudd guns and self-propelled artillery, robot maniples, tunnellers (including the huge Hellbore of Citadel legend), new non-Russ/Predator tanks, lots of VTOL fliers and a full wing of Zepplins! I've also collected a silly number (~50+) of the very old metal Rhinos (the ones that came before the plastic ones we're all familiar with) so that my slow troops can ride around in style.  Tongue

This was a pic of my Epic Squat collection at the end of last summer, but a fair bit more has been added since:

I will get back to them, I'm certain of that. But I wanted to get some other stuff finished first (Malifaux, WM, Infinity and Twilight) on the basis that I have current opponents and suitable terrain ready for them.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: