The World Of Twilight
March 29, 2024, 02:23:39 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the World of Twilight forum!
Automatic registration has been disabled, but if you are new and wish to register then just send me an email (m.thorp@talk21.com) and I'll sort it out. Don't forget to say what username you would like!

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Colonial Twilight & a online store vetting question  (Read 5928 times)
Lord of Wormwood
Jenta

« on: May 24, 2010, 11:00:08 am »

Now I know that this shot isn't that exciting but it's a start. I have never used green stuff before this and am enjoying using it with the gluing just to create a better bond. I just have get better in working out how much to mix up - time is the teacher here.

Anyways my aim is to assemble them all before undercoating any, after that I have more of the luxury of picking and choosing which to paint next.

The "white filled" base in the centre of the picture is for the engineer - I wanted to try out a) the Das clay that I have had laying around for an age & b) wanted to see how much of an impact it would make on the figure. I am thinking I should have done something like this for the rest.

I really haven't painted or done anything with figures for the past seven years up until late last year when I did some Splintered Light Figures (which are the best fun). Now most of my paints in the time had died - GW mainly so I bought the Foundation set and the washes. I felt that I had a good result with them but I need to expand on the pallet. So I have settled on the Privateer Press P3 range. In Australia we get stuffed with extra cost linked to exchange and transport on top of the "normal" retail so I have found Maelstrom Games in the UK. They promote a discount rate of about 10% - 15% off but sauce the deal with free shipping on orders over £10 - even overseas.

Now I am asking you my forum peers - have you ever had dealing with this company and/or heard anything about it before. I am quite savvy in online shopping so it's not a fear factor but more the question "am I going to get stuffed around?"

Oh by the time I finished this post I put together the last of my Empire figs.  Grin

Lord of Wormwood
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 11:07:18 am by Lord of Wormwood » Logged
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 11:15:37 am »

Ooh, good to see some progress!
I've used Maelstrom quite recently (they had a good deal on WM in the run up to Easter) and found them to be good. I also only used them on recommendation of a few friends, so I think they are generally a good bet and have a good reputation.
Let us know what you think of the DAS - it's a reasonable material, but it's got its limitations! It struggles with fine detail.
Lord of Wormwood
Jenta

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 11:34:44 am »

Mike,

I am actually thinking about Hordes Mk II. I have both the core first prints and never got around to playing it but Hordes has always drawn me more so. I faded off WM due to the game going from small skirmish to LARGE unit Skirmish. From what I have heard MkII has brought back the fight for me.

So it's going to be a copy of Horders MkII (maybe WM MkII) and a few buckets loads of paint. I have just started my twelfth week of work for the first time in over a year (family matters) so I have a tiny bit more cash to play with (not blowing it all just  getting in the ground tools... ok so WM would be just blowing it but..)

Hear the the dice I got last week or so ago:

I will be working on that project next.

Lord of Wormwood
Brandlin
Official Fubarnii Architect
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 11:57:36 am »

i've used maelstrom a bit but they only carry mainstream stuff, which isn't really what i'm inot - never had problems and i have heard good things about them !!

Brandlin - Home of Laser cut styrene building kits - NOW OPEN!

"Engineers are too precious a resource to let go wandering the open countryside" - Emberbreeze 9/11/11
Lord of Wormwood
Jenta

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 01:05:23 pm »

I should ask has anyone used the P3 paints before and how do you find them, thanks

Lord of Wormwood
Brandlin
Official Fubarnii Architect
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 01:10:28 pm »

cant help you there lord wormwood, i use the foundry sets exclusively (oh and gw washes)

Brandlin - Home of Laser cut styrene building kits - NOW OPEN!

"Engineers are too precious a resource to let go wandering the open countryside" - Emberbreeze 9/11/11
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 01:46:44 pm »

I've used P3 and found them just fine. Some of the colours were very useful (there's a black-ish colour that was handy), but some of the metallics were a tad weak (not unusable, but not great).
I tend to end up using a mix of whatever paints I have to hand. The new GW washes are certainly useful, so that was a good purchase!
Auton
Hatchling

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 11:08:27 am »

I have primarily been using Vallejo paints for the last year or more but have just tried P3 and am reasonably impressed. They cover well and give a nice silky finish, the red is particularly good (have been painting Khador for Warmachine)

Nick

Ex-editor of Ragnarok, the Society of Fantasy & Science Fiction Wargamers magazine http://www.sfsfw.org/
Lord of Wormwood
Jenta

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 11:11:36 am »

Thanks for input, guys. To let you know I used Maelstrom Games and ordered one of each of the paints minus the metallics and the inks/washes. I am kind of itching to get cracking. I really hope that they don't stuff up the order.

Lord of Wormwood
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: