The World Of Twilight
April 25, 2024, 02:20:01 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the World of Twilight forum!
Automatic registration has been disabled, but if you are new and wish to register then just send me an email (m.thorp@talk21.com) and I'll sort it out. Don't forget to say what username you would like!

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Test Shapes  (Read 24189 times)
Lost Egg
Lord of Engu
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2011, 08:52:02 am »

The peak of the roof for the top right building look off centre slightly, maybe try that (I think you did something like that before in another pic).

HN
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2011, 09:40:15 am »

A shorter base section would help a lot - you might have to cut down the pot and lose some integrity, but a more squat base to the building would work better (in my opinion).
I like the rougher style of the buildings in those images, although that might be more tricky to capture with the laser cut parts. A roughly shaped doorway with nice big stones would be cool though (as in the top-right building).
HN's suggestion of a slight offset to the roof could be fun. It would only need to be very subtle.

I like the idea of an entire village of those tall-rooved buildings. It would be less of a central-empire style of architecture (although I imagine architects within the central empire would draw inspiration from it).
Brandlin
Official Fubarnii Architect
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2011, 02:50:26 pm »

I've changed this thread to be a home for all the test shapes I might play around with and made it a sticky.

And todays installment is based on a Dairy Lea cheese triangles box extended in height with an offset conical roof and balcony.

As always this is a very simple block model and would be augmented with beam details, doors, windows and "stuff" in the final model.

comments always welcome.

Brandlin - Home of Laser cut styrene building kits - NOW OPEN!

"Engineers are too precious a resource to let go wandering the open countryside" - Emberbreeze 9/11/11
Emberbreeze
Development Team
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2011, 03:13:23 pm »

I like it, very funky.

Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2011, 03:16:19 pm »

I like that a lot.
Add in the option of an intersecting pryn-gul (scoring on the roof would suffice) and I'd be very happy.
I think it would look good with a nice long set of tiles at the bottom layer to give more of an overhang.
Lost Egg
Lord of Engu
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2011, 03:32:55 pm »

Looks good. I could see an Engineer setting up a telescope on that balcony.

HN
TheGremlin
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2011, 03:38:00 pm »

This, I like! It reminds me of an observatory: all it needs is a telescope and it would make a perfect engineer's home. I'd stick it on top of a half tube as well. I'm not familiar with the the dimensions of the box, could you post a scale picture along side pringle tube dimsenions?

Brandlin
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2011, 03:45:25 pm »

thank you guys - a lot of fiddling to do yet to get all the sizes right - for example that door is only 19mm wide,  and the overhang of the roof isn't correct yet etc etc.

But i like where its going - at it seems do you lot.

I love the way mike says "scoring on the roof would suffice" like its a fibe minute job! I'd have to calculate not only the scoring for the roof, but for every row of shingles too plus create templates for the main body of the building and then figure out how to keep the cone cone shaped when more than half of it has been cut away! Simple! (actually the last bit is the tricky one...)

Its not going to be a cheap kit as the roofs take a lot of styrene and cutting time, and the sides of the main structure would also be styrene rolled inside the Dairy Lea lids.

Now my only problem is - are Dairy Lea boxes the same size the world over - cos I just found out that McFlurry cups aren't! Curse you McDonalds and your Whimsically random approach to product packaging sizes!

for those of you unfamiliar with the product

very similar to

Oh, final news for today - i'm now selling the standard 75mm conical roof for the pringles tower separately...
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 04:05:47 pm by Brandlin » Logged

"Engineers are too precious a resource to let go wandering the open countryside" - Emberbreeze 9/11/11
Lost Egg
Lord of Engu
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2011, 04:16:44 pm »

No idea on the sizes there Brandlin but is the cardboard tube of a roll of parcel tape (dia= 80mm) the same?

HN
Brandlin
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2011, 04:59:47 pm »

bugger i've been and gone and deleted the cad model - well thats an hour i wont get back!

Megatron0
Merchant of Enipel
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2011, 06:15:17 pm »

I love that building!
Make that a kit and you got yourself a sale Cheesy

gogilvie
Hatchling

« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2011, 07:08:23 pm »

Love the shape and I will definately get some of them if they go into production!
Lost Egg
Lord of Engu
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2011, 07:17:52 pm »

I think it'd look great half built into a hill or possibly the watchtower.

HN
TheGremlin
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2011, 11:03:21 am »

Are you planning to incorporate that shape as the top floor of a tower?

Pringles tubes are 73mm diametre, right? I would assume that the dairylea lid was wider, but by how much?
Brandlin
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2011, 03:06:15 pm »

A shorter base section would help a lot - you might have to cut down the pot and lose some integrity, but a more squat base to the building would work.

I'm returning to look at these, as next models.

Yes I could make the base 'squatter' simply by lowering the roof over it rather than cutting the base cup.

I now have a young niece that works in mcdonalds as a Saturday job, so I'm hoping I don't have to buy stuff from them anymore to get packaging!

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: