The World Of Twilight
March 29, 2024, 12:52:26 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the World of Twilight forum!
Automatic registration has been disabled, but if you are new and wish to register then just send me an email (m.thorp@talk21.com) and I'll sort it out. Don't forget to say what username you would like!

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Twilight Ramblings 12 - Fubarnii Races  (Read 16466 times)
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« on: May 28, 2011, 12:36:19 pm »

During the time of devanu rule there was relatively little movement of fubarnii across anyaral, so there are strong racial distinctions in many regions. These have been mentioned quite a few times, but I thought I would pull together some of the general racial characteristics that are seen across the various Fubarnii of Anyaral. The herders are very definitely Gethloan, while the knights and militia are slightly more varied. There are no specific Casanii or Eragu sculpts to date.
As usual, let me know what you think!

Central Empire
Gethloan (geth-low-ann). The Gethloan generally have pale brownish skin, often with darker mottling and spots over the top of their snouts and backs, with similar markings over their shoulders and down their arms. The gethloan 'race' is fairly diluted and cosmopolitan as many travellers from other regions have been accepted into the central empire communities. The rural farmers and herders tend to be more typically gethloan in their features than their town-living cousins.

The Setirii Mountains
To the North are the various setirii (seh-tear-ee). This phrase actually covers a number of different races who have kept themselves separate to a certain extent.

The Dhogu (doh-goo) live in unknown numbers throughout the mountains. Small even by fubarnii standards, the dhogu generally avoid the cities, although some do visit to trade and offer their services. They are very pale skinned and usually wear thick leathers and furs to protect them from the cold. It is a common misconception that they have hairy hooves and there are a number of derogatory racial terms along those lines (as well as insults to do with hairy eggs). There is a general view that you can't trust a dhogu. This may be unfair to some extent, but their moral code differs to that of most of the empire - in their view a promise is worthless, unless backed up by the dhogu's 'dhog' (pronounced doh-guh, with a very soft ‘guh’, and roughly translates to clan, family, or tribe). Thus a deal to guide a traveller through the mountains means nothing unless it is quite carefully negotiated. Many travellers have perished as a result of this technicality. A true promise from a dhogu is however a very serious oath and would never be broken. Oathbreakers are killed or exiled as they shame the dhog.

The Delgon (Dell-gone) are also a setirii race. They clearly have a lot of dhogu blood in them, but they seem to have some gethloan origin as well, linked to when they retreated from the devanu occupation. They have pale, greyish skin with minor speckling more visible in the delgon of some regions. They are slightly taller than the dhogu, but are short by most Fubarnii standards. While the delgon armies that have been seen to date are very uniform, there are more distinct differences in armour and clothing style within the delgon borders. There is however a strong tendency towards uniformity and this is reinforced by their very rigid crèche structure, where young jenta are immediately put into crèches from the moment they hatch and are unlikely to ever know their parents. Instead there is a strong bond between crèche siblings.

The Eragu (Eh-rah-goo) are a very distinctive setirii race. They have long-term animosity with the dhogu as they have had many historical battles over territory etc. They are generally the largest of the fubarnii races and thus tower over their neighbours. Their skin is greyish in tone - similar to the other setirii. Both the Engu and the Galin are eragu clans and they are very similar in many aspects of their culture.

The Great Lakes
The Nerinii (Neh-ree-nee) are a disparate and varied race who live in the regions around the great lakes. They are often olive or green skinned, but as with the gethloan they are a cosmopolitan race and there is a lot of variation both between and within regions. They are seen as a generally light-hearted and welcoming people, but can be very harsh when their way of life is threatened.

The Casanii Territories
The Casanii (Cass-aah-nee) occupy the vast Casanii territories. They are nominally split into three ‘clans’ for administrative reasons, but the Casanii themselves consider themselves as belonging to much smaller groupings. There are often skirmishes between these groups, but at many times they have gathered in vast numbers to deal with a threat. The Casanii are generally a tall slender race (by Fubarnii standards), but there is a large amount of variation across the territories. They tend to have slightly darker skin than their northern brethren, but may groups wear a great deal of brightly coloured body paint. The territories are very warm, so the Casanii wear minimal clothing, often just wearing ornate breastplates. Headdresses are commonly seen and mark seniority.

Ferals
The Tohranii (Toe-raah-nee), commonly known as Ferals, are a nomadic people who follow the great migrations across the Empire. They are a distinct race who bear many similarities to the Gethloan people, albeit with a number of distinct differences in skin tones and facial shapes. They are an insular people with strong traditions, but they will trade and interact with clans they pass through.

Argoran Territories
The Argoran (ahh-gore-ann) bear some similarities to both the Gethloan and the Casanii, being relatively tall and slender, but not to the same extent as the Casanii.
Geckilian
Hunter of Orelan
Distinguished Engineer

NuraSen'Malog

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 12:57:44 pm »

Interesting info. Good to know the Oreli are a bit taller than usual. I assume being in the Agoran desert and what not, they'd have generally darker brown mottled skin?

Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 02:49:27 pm »

There would be a bit of variation in skin tone over that entire region, but darker brown mottled skin would fit for the Oreli.
Lost Egg
Lord of Engu
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 06:30:47 pm »

Interesting as always. The Ferals migrate across the Empire but how far north do they go?

HN
Megatron0
Merchant of Enipel
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 07:47:17 pm »

good read Cheesy

Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 11:07:15 pm »

I think it is unlikely that the great migrations would go north of the Naralon forests, but I suppose in the warmest of summers the herds may go off course...
You can generally assume they don't pass through the lands of the Galin. The yirnak herders would probably be similar in outlook, but far removed from their southern cousins. Possibly they have a common heritage though.
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 10:11:20 pm »

This is a very rough sketch, and not all of it is certain, but it's a bit of guidance as to how the different races will probably look. The Casani and Tohranii (Ferals) are probably the least certain. Please let me know what you think!
Megatron0
Merchant of Enipel
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2011, 10:51:16 pm »

HOLY MOLEY I AM IN LOVE WITH THE CASANI!
They look great. Though the Eragu look a little to big i think.

Lost Egg
Lord of Engu
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2011, 06:50:50 am »

Wow, I think they look great. I like that they all look Fubarnii but with subtle, characterful differences. I think the Casani & Ferals work so hope they don't get changed too much. The Casani remind me of Afghan hounds; there are two types Desert and Mountain, the desert type are slim and leggy while the mountain type are a little shorter but stocky. Works well between the Eragu & Casani.

Out of interest how much bigger is Roban compared to the Eragu? Also, I take it all Fubarnii of the region are Eragu...or rather do they all grow so big or is it only the older ones? If they all grow that big then I might paint my Fubarnii as a clan of the Central Empire (Posan or something) and wait for the Eragu before I start the Engu.

HN
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 07:02:26 am by Hairy Norseman » Logged
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2011, 08:04:46 am »

I'll see how big the Eragu eventually end up - the example the may be a particularly large example. I'll see how they look when i start sculpting. I would imagine the Eragu clans would have a mix of sizes of fubarnii, and I will aim to have a cohesive look to the force. I would love to do a few smaller standard militia in the same style, but that may take a very long time... They won't get the current herders though, at least not if you want a properly themed force  Smiley

Roban is about twice the height of a standard fubarnii, so the Eragu would still look very small to him.

Glad you like the Casanii. They are still in early development so they get a good look and feel, but I'm liking how he's turning out so far.
Lord Fubarnii
Jenta

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2011, 12:20:47 pm »

oh nuts. i should of read this bit first for some reason ,probably colour blindness, ive painted all mine fubarnii green! is there a place left in the empire for a narinii settlement?
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2011, 12:24:09 pm »

The Empire is big, don't you worry! At worst you just say that your clan has nerinii blood in it, even if they live in another part of the empire.
Geckilian
Hunter of Orelan
Distinguished Engineer

NuraSen'Malog

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2011, 12:41:56 pm »

Very nice designs there, makes me want the dhogu all the more.

Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2011, 01:15:41 pm »

As an aside, the dhogu are coming along nicely. The two basic dhogu are nearly complete aside from the arms, which will probbaly be done as separate pieces with universal joints so you can do more different poses. The dhogu yirnak rider is also nearly there. It'll still be a good few months before they get into full production, but I might at least have something to show reasonably soon!
Lost Egg
Lord of Engu
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2011, 03:40:00 pm »

Cool! Looking forward to seeing the Yirnak rider as not seen anything of him yet.

HN
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: