The World Of Twilight
March 29, 2024, 01:15:40 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the World of Twilight forum!
Automatic registration has been disabled, but if you are new and wish to register then just send me an email (m.thorp@talk21.com) and I'll sort it out. Don't forget to say what username you would like!

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: First Demo Game  (Read 10377 times)
KDLynch
Apprentice

« on: July 03, 2011, 05:43:56 am »

So, decided to run a demo game between two people who were interested in the idea of the Twilight game.  I acted as the 'living rule book', walking them through their various options. Both players have a lot of wargaming experience under their belts, one being a big 40k/warmahordes player, the other heavy into skirmish games.

End result? You've got two more twilight fans in the US. Cheesy

This should definitely motivate me to paint my minis faster, so I could do up a 'proper' looking demo.  It was a little odd seeing grishak's running across the table with one of their legs trailing behind them... hehehehe. Smiley

"what color did you use, red with a black wash?"
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 08:39:53 am »

Sounds good  Grin

Who won?

When you do assemble your grishak, don't forget you can swap the legs around to give more poses?
Lost Egg
Lord of Engu
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 09:46:23 am »

I made that mistake...oh well will just have to buy another 4 at some point and swap all their legs. Cheesy

HN
KDLynch
Apprentice

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 04:08:57 pm »

Lol... no, I hadn't assembled the grishak (or any of them) yet... so their 2nd leg was still attached to the sprue behind them... they were just put into the bases that way (just friction holding them).  I'll get them all properly assembled this week. Smiley

On who one: we ran the first scenario, "The Wandering Engineer," which turned out as a draw, with the grishaks taking out the engineer the same round as the knights killed the Kopa.  The game lasted just into turn #4.

@Carcharoth: One thing I did note while running the demo game... having cards for the units for reference would be very handy, so I'll work on creating some for me the for this next weekend (hopefully).  Is this something I can share a pdf of here, once done?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 04:15:39 pm by KDLynch » Logged

Scalifano
Spam-hunter
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 05:27:34 pm »

... having cards for the units for reference would be very handy, so I'll work on creating some for me the for this next weekend (hopefully).  Is this something I can share a pdf of here, once done?

Wait, Mike has made some unofficial ones, try printing these:

http://www.worldoftwilight.com/forum/index.php?topic=87.0

http://www.worldoftwilight.com/forum/index.php?topic=82.0

Hope these help.  I don't think there are any Delgon ones though.

But if you want to make your own, I'm sure everyone would like to see them. Smiley

« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 05:30:26 pm by Scalifano » Logged
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2011, 08:26:04 pm »

I have just had a set of cards printed for myself. They are kinda fun, but I need to figure out a neater way of doing them (my approach of taking screengrabs from word was too low res and it also had the minor flaw that I forgot to turn off the little red underlines.. oops!).
I've got the original word file if it would be useful as a starting point? Otherwise I would be very interested to see what you come up with and you are certainly welcome to share your pdf!
KDLynch
Apprentice

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2011, 09:01:27 pm »

I use Adobe Illustrator for card design.

I've done redesigns for other games cards... for example warmahordes. Specifically for the hordes groups during the beta test for bringing them up to mk 2. I've found I like the cards I made better than the redesign by PP, so continue to use them. 

Here's some samples of cards I've done for Hordes and Dystopian Wars:

All the backgrounds (which are easily changable -- they are on their own layer) are based on personal faction colours (yep, I have a multicolour dazzle pattern for my DW fleet. hehe). The pictures for the Trollbloods were taken from my own minis.

I envision Twilight cards will be more simplified than these, as there's far less info to track. Smiley  I'll probably base the initial idea off of Mike's posted in the threads linked above. Cheesy  And without plaid or dazzle backgrounds, of course. hehehe.

Scalifano
Spam-hunter
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2011, 09:50:03 pm »

These look sweet! (I also play Trolls Smiley - But all mine are unpainted Sad ), can't wait to see what the Twilight cards are going to look like.
TheGremlin
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2011, 11:40:31 pm »

What do the Twilight team use at conventions? The laminated A4 sheets with the profiles on them, because they worked pretty well, iirc.
Megatron0
Merchant of Enipel
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2011, 12:24:19 am »

Those crazy backgrounds make me smile  Smiley
Im glad the demo went well! As soon as I have finished painting the set I will start filming a how to play video!
What did you two players like most about the game? and have they decided what factions to play?

KDLynch
Apprentice

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2011, 01:18:09 am »

Thanks! I made the backgrounds to match peoples army colours, but for most, that involved just one simple colour (like the first dark grey one, which is the store owners faction in DW).  Our resident Skorne player, however, who keeps insisting that his Skorne are the "good guys" and not slavers, got the message "I Whip My Boys" printed in a slightly different shade of red on his skorne red background. hehehehe.  I'm thinking that for the 'generic' Twilight cards, I'll go with a simple parchment though.

One of the players really enjoyed the background/fluff (at least what of it I told off the top of my head... hehe), and the second really enjoyed the different mechanics. Both of them liked that it was less ... rules heavy, requiring bogged down calculations and such, and that it was (as a result) faster and simpler (in a good way).

One player will go Devanu, and the second is going Empire (going so far as to ask how much it costs, etc.). Smiley

The main watcher, the store owner, was very intrigued by the whole system, and wants to see more games before he decides on an army to buy (although knowing him, he'll prolly go the same route as me... the dreaded AllOfTheAbove Clan. hehehe).  I'll have him play this next weekend.  I already ordered more figs, enough to try several more of the scenarios without having to proxy, but don't expect those to arrive by this next weekend.

Megatron0
Merchant of Enipel
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2011, 01:36:10 am »

Wicked! its also good to see more Devanu players about!
Tell them to come by the forum! and get involved with the community  Cheesy

ContrapuntalAnt
Jenta

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2011, 01:44:19 am »

For something far less flashy/visually interesting, I made the attached crib sheet for all the Devanu information after playing a game and considering this exact same point. I'm sure people can make much nicer ones, but go ahead and use this until then. Anything I've missed/got wrong?

On a complete off-topic point: do the Devanu Kopa and Sempa retroactively get Agility? I ask because I assumed so and have included it on the crib sheet I made...

Excellent re: introducing new people, anyway! I think Twilight works nicely for demo games, due to it's inherent simplicity and small scale, which must be a good thing.

"All I’m saying is sometimes eating a walnut is preferable to getting hacked to death or set on fire during dinner."
- Loralai, Gilmore Girls
Lost Egg
Lord of Engu
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2011, 06:57:28 am »

Nice clear layout ContrapuntalAnt, good job. Personally I just printed the pages from the rulebook with the models stats etc on and used them.

Good to see the fires of WoT spreading!

HN
KDLynch
Apprentice

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2011, 07:07:05 am »

Next demo game run. This time we used the Unwelcome Travelers from Of Gods and Demons.  We had three players, and again, I acted as rules ref, and initiative stone drawer.

Since we had three players, I evened out the Delgon a bit by adding an Acolyte and 5 soldiers to that group. The others stayed as written. For win adjustment... Delgon would win if priest got off table under Delgon's control (so yes, another Delgon model could 'carry' the incapacitated Priest off the table, same as for the other two factions).

At first, once the knights made contact with the Delgon, I thought it was going to be very one sided and wondered if I balanced the Delgon correctly.  But three of the Delgon KalDru were able to get around a row of knights, and directly engage the Knight Captain. A combat stone later, and the Captain lay dead, removing the Empire from the table.  Not that this made the Delgon any safer, as the Devanu were right there as well. It ended up in a 'running' battle (at a massive 3" per turn, due to moving cautiously rules for disengaging) and got within 8" or so of the table edge before the Devanu were finally able to both incapacitate the Priest, and kill the last remaining KalDreman.

All in all, the game was enjoyed immensely by all, and they are all looking forward to playing more. Cheesy

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: