The World Of Twilight
March 28, 2024, 01:12:44 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the World of Twilight forum!
Automatic registration has been disabled, but if you are new and wish to register then just send me an email (m.thorp@talk21.com) and I'll sort it out. Don't forget to say what username you would like!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Scenery project: fubarnii settlement: finished !  (Read 29517 times)
Letchaï
Senior Apprentice

« on: June 20, 2015, 11:08:42 pm »

Good evening everyone !
So I'd like to participate to the scenery contest (it'll be hard with 3 complete weeks of farniente in Italy Cheesy ) with an ambitious project.

Here is the concept sketch:

On the left a "classic" settlement, inspired by the different sketches in the book or in these forums. Time to grab the different elements !
On the right: it's a sort of escaping exit, in the case that the tower is invaded by blood thirsty Devanu. So it'll be a sort of pile of rocks, with a wooden door inserted in.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 08:39:33 pm by Letchaï » Logged

Fans français de WoT: si vous voulez une version traduite des règles, envoyez-moi un MP Wink
My FB page (twilight and many else): https://www.facebook.com/Les12TravauxDesFigs
The Slann
Qualified Engineer

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2015, 11:34:43 pm »

I like that idea, and I know your skills, so I'm really looking forward to this project Cheesy

So, officially, welcome to the challenge Wink

cheers,
Slann
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2015, 08:18:38 am »

Superb  Smiley
Don't feel too constrained by the Brandlin style buildings - the fubarnii are always breaking architectural rules  Wink
I would maybe increase the size of the top floor of the tower a tiny bit to break up the straight verticals and maybe play with different cladding on some parts of the building. I would also increase the overhang on the eaves. Or just build it exactly as you've drawn it and ignore me  Smiley
Nice idea on the bolt hole.
Very excited to see how this develops!
Letchaï
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2015, 09:45:01 am »

Thanks !

Superb  Smiley
Don't feel too constrained by the Brandlin style buildings - the fubarnii are always breaking architectural rules  Wink
Well, i got more inspired by the sketches in the book and the little demo table at Salute Wink

I would maybe increase the size of the top floor of the tower a tiny bit to break up the straight verticals and maybe play with different cladding on some parts of the building. I would also increase the overhang on the eaves.
I made the same reflections after posting my sketch ! With these modifications the scenery would look better.

Fans français de WoT: si vous voulez une version traduite des règles, envoyez-moi un MP Wink
My FB page (twilight and many else): https://www.facebook.com/Les12TravauxDesFigs
Kryptovidicus
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2015, 02:55:10 pm »

Ambitious, but as I have seen your knight diorama I think this will end up looking amazing.
I can see where your inspiration comes from though.
A smaller but similar build was on the KS page if I'm not mistaken.

Roleplaying games are a bit like a holiday. You visit new places and meet interesting people.
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2015, 07:41:11 pm »

A smaller but similar build was on the KS page if I'm not mistaken.
That is correct! The design is similar to the building I had at Salute, which also had a small blimp tethered to the top Smiley
Crucium Giger
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2015, 10:28:13 am »

Well even as a sketch this is looking rather wonderful.

cruciumgiger.blogspot.com
Letchaï
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2015, 09:16:18 pm »

Hope I will not disappoint you !

Well, da best moment in making Twilight sceneries  Grin

Cheesy

The Slann
Qualified Engineer

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2015, 09:59:34 pm »

hahaha, I know that feeling Wink

But the scale didn't like it Tongue
Kryptovidicus
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2015, 08:30:03 am »

Lol Cheesy
I don't know what the can for your middle part is filled with, but I hope it is just as tasty.

Roleplaying games are a bit like a holiday. You visit new places and meet interesting people.
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2015, 10:34:31 am »

That's an excellent start  Grin
Letchaï
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2015, 12:23:58 pm »

Lol Cheesy
I don't know what the can for your middle part is filled with, but I hope it is just as tasty.
I'm yet prospecting. I have thought to big vegetables cans or prepared recipes cans, like cassoulet or coq au vin  Grin
The size is ok, but I'm not sure we'll want to eat cassoulet until the end of the summer ! So I think that I'll scratch it with cardboard.

Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2015, 03:15:29 pm »

In the UK I think you get some good sized chocolate boxes, so that's something you could investigate if your diet needs more damage...
For my first buildings I ended up chopping up drainpipe. That's a lot of effort though, so you might be better scratchbuilding it!
Letchaï
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2015, 08:44:26 pm »

Eaten all the pringles, serious things begin !

I'll try to do a maximum of photos of the building process.

First step: cut two rounds in 2mm thick cardboard:

And a notch to put the Pryn Gul tower ^^

After cutting, I test if it adjust correctly:

And I glue thicknesses of polystyrene to strengthen the structure:

Then I glue the wall (including a parapet), made of the same cardboard:

Let's see what happens then:

I plan to glue sandpaper on the walls to simulate a roughcast wall. What do you think ?
That's all for today Smiley

Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2015, 10:14:36 pm »

Excellent start! I'm loving all the intersecting circles.
Only concern with sandpaper would be for your minis... I tend to clad in rough paper, or paint with a mix of paint and fine sand.
How are you doing windows? I've got a bunch of tattoo ink cups that halcyon suggested. Happy to send some your way if they'd be handy (or have a look on eBay).
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to: