The World Of Twilight
March 19, 2024, 05:41:10 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the World of Twilight forum!
Automatic registration has been disabled, but if you are new and wish to register then just send me an email (m.thorp@talk21.com) and I'll sort it out. Don't forget to say what username you would like!

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Painting and Modelling Supplies  (Read 4740 times)
M4ttyMatt
Jenta

« on: April 20, 2016, 05:30:10 pm »

Hey guys, am kinda new here, only been looking since Saturday, and I'm really enthusiastic about geting back into the painting and modelling side of miniatures.  I used to do warhammer and 40k heavily when i was younger, but not done any painting for about 5 years or so. 

So really my question is where to do you painters get all of your painting supplies from? is there a specific brand of paints that work better than others? als thinking of price (there's so much i do, keeping on top of finances is a tricky business!)

Any advice from anyone would be greatly appreciated, before i just go out and buy any old paints from the local hobby store!

Thanks all!   Grin
Jase
Jenta

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 06:13:08 pm »

Hi Matt,

My preferred paints are Vallejo Model Colours (not Game Colours) and S75 for the bright stuff. They're not the cheapest around, but well worth the money.

As for brushes, I use W&N #7 exclusively.

Not quite sure where's the best place to buy. I buy them from a guy in the Netherlands (sceneryworkshop), but I guess there are similar shops in the UK.
benmoor
Apprentice

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 07:35:45 pm »

Hi,
I get all mine from http://www.snmstuff.co.uk/ really good service, full selection and fairly cheap compared to other places.  Plus the bonus of no stock issues which you tend to get quite a lot ordering from the bigger wargames stores like Wayland or Element Games in the UK (in my experience).

I also use Vallejo but do use the Game Colour range as well as the Model Colour stuff. The SnMStuff site also sells a range of fairly inexpensive sable kolinsky brushes which are a decent buy. The only thing it doesn't sell are undercoat spray and varnish spray which you'd have to get from elsewhere.

I expect everyone will have a different opinion, but I hope that helps.

Ben

TuffSkull
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 07:48:05 pm »

Second the vote for (the appallingly named) snmstuff.

Sean (the "S") is a great guy, and they do deliver good service.

While my workshop holds elements of about a dozen different paint manufacturers, I mostly use Vallejo and citadel. Scale 75 are brilliant by all accounts, I just can't afford to invest in another range at the moment  Grin

discok3
Apprentice

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 09:09:55 pm »

Winsor brushes are the best
Vallejo are top notch
Scale 75 I've only just bought but they come in themed packs which is great for flesh,metal,etc
SnMstuff is a great shop
I agree with all the recommendations
M4ttyMatt
Jenta

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2016, 10:44:15 pm »

thanks for all the advice guys, going to use the SnMstuff to buy the paintbrushes at least. 

Shopping for paints online is so tricky! do you guys have any exprience with the "tamiya" paints? The local hobby shop sells those, and i can actually look at the paints in person! xD

Jase
Jenta

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2016, 07:01:48 am »

I tried a few, but I'm not a big fan. Tamiya Clear Red, however, is great for blood and Tamiya Smoke can be really helpful in aging your metals.
TuffSkull
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2016, 07:19:34 am »

^^ Jase knows his paint. Agreed once again! Nothing but smoke and clear red!

Danu Kopa
Apprentice

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2016, 02:37:28 pm »

Never tried the smoke. Nice tip.
Kryptovidicus
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2016, 08:26:53 pm »

I'm also using Clear Green for bile and intestines, a technique I got from the Bushido website.
It gives a great effect when painted over rotting flesh.

Roleplaying games are a bit like a holiday. You visit new places and meet interesting people.
Erik
Jenta

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2016, 07:00:24 pm »

Someone asked about Tamiya.  Tamiya is great for airplanes and smooth surfaces but may wash out your details.  It's a smoother, wetter-feeling paint than Vallejo, no matter how much water and flow improver you mix into the Vallejo.

I've had excellent luck with the Army Painter Strong and Soft Tone washes.  They go in the cracks better than the GW ones and don't discolor the surfaces like the GW ones. 

Also, to save yourself a few bucks (or quid) try using inexpensive paint primer for cars instead of the GW primer.  That's $2 vs. $20.  Try it on a test mini, first, to make sure you like the results, of course.  I have been quite happy with auto primer and it's way cheaper.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: