The World Of Twilight
March 28, 2024, 05:35:32 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the World of Twilight forum!
Automatic registration has been disabled, but if you are new and wish to register then just send me an email (m.thorp@talk21.com) and I'll sort it out. Don't forget to say what username you would like!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Tonio's Scenery - Fubarnii balloon  (Read 29627 times)
Mordecae
Hatchling

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2018, 08:22:38 pm »

This looks fantastic!
Looking forward to seeing the end result, but will definitely be considering these techniques when creating my own balloons, thanks for the share! Cheesy
Tonio
Apprentice

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2018, 05:57:24 pm »

I finally settled on a simple basket like the first one I sketched, instead of a more elaborate one. The balloon will be an observation platform more than a transport method. 

The base is a plastic Easter egg. I pressed the putty on a blanket for texture. Balsa for the floor, and balsa+putty for the wooden rail.

I now need to add nails and ropes to attach the outside canvas to the frame, and prepare the attach points for the balloons.

Kryptovidicus
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2018, 01:14:38 am »

Great technique! That already looks magnificent and it isn't even painted yet.

Roleplaying games are a bit like a holiday. You visit new places and meet interesting people.
Tonio
Apprentice

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2018, 07:37:43 pm »

Great technique! That already looks magnificent and it isn't even painted yet.
Thanks! Really.looking forward to the painting. Smiley

Done with the nails and the attachements for the balloons' ropes.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 07:39:30 pm by Tonio » Logged
Tonio
Apprentice

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2018, 06:18:00 am »

Details on the basket done, and reinforced ropes prepared. I will attach them after painting.

Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2018, 07:38:12 am »

That’s coming along very nicely Smiley
Is a week going to be enough time to finish it?
Tonio
Apprentice

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2018, 11:12:15 am »

The balloon itself, yes. It's almost done, mostly paint left to do.

However, it's pretty sure the tower is a no go without a day off this week. I had started to cut my tubes out, but I don't see it happening, as i also have to paint my critter.
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2018, 07:16:40 pm »

I think the balloon on its own with ll be an admirable entry! Hopefully you can add the house at a later date.
Tonio
Apprentice

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2018, 08:29:27 pm »

I'm working on the balloon for another friendly challenge at the same time, which end a couple weeks later. Hopefully, even if I don't have the tower done for the contest, it will be done by the end of the month. Smiley
Kryptovidicus
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2018, 11:39:08 pm »

Make sure to post the finished piece over here too Grin.

Roleplaying games are a bit like a holiday. You visit new places and meet interesting people.
Tonio
Apprentice

« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2018, 03:11:19 pm »

Been working on the ropes last night, make another couple reinforced ropes for the support.

I also started to assemble the tower. Basic shapes done, and started working on the wooden support details. Not a first material wise, judging by the other terrain thread I've seen around here.  Grin

Tonio
Apprentice

« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2018, 02:43:52 pm »

The roofs' basic forms are done. I now have to do the tiling, and small details like the chimneys.

I also built the balcony. The main tower part was smaller than on my drawings, so I had to cut a bit into the roof, as well as move one wooden beam on the attachment tower.

I will put the building on pause now, to paint the balloon basket. It shouldn't be long. as it's already primed and ready to go. All the ropes have been strengthened with brass rod/steel wire and glue. The ropes from the basket to the balloon are a bit more flimsy that I would like. I might have to redo them with the wire, or bigger rods. The ones that will anchor to the tree and building are strong enough though.

I also need to work on the temporary base before the end of the weekend.

Lost Egg
Lord of Engu
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2018, 08:56:37 pm »

Lovely work. I particularly like your balcony. Looking forward to seeing the painted balloon.
Kryptovidicus
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2018, 12:34:21 am »

What an amazing start! I like the style, it reminds me very much of a funpark which was near the place In lived in Belgium.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Efteling

Tonio
Apprentice

« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2018, 04:17:46 am »

What an amazing start! I like the style, it reminds me very much of a funpark which was near the place In lived in Belgium.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Efteling
Wow, that is a really cool, but weird, building!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: