The World Of Twilight
March 28, 2024, 12:44:46 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the World of Twilight forum!
Automatic registration has been disabled, but if you are new and wish to register then just send me an email (m.thorp@talk21.com) and I'll sort it out. Don't forget to say what username you would like!

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Danomar and Shocktroopers - test rules  (Read 4781 times)
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« on: December 12, 2010, 09:41:34 pm »

TheGremlin just posted some fun rules ideas and it reminded me that I haven't yet shared these rules with you!
These are still test rules, so feel free to suggest changes or alternatives, and I'd love to hear what you think.

Danomar:

Shock Troopers:
TheGremlin
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 09:55:31 pm »

Nice rules; interesting set up. I might even get a chance to playtest them over Christmas  Roll Eyes
Geckilian
Hunter of Orelan
Distinguished Engineer

NuraSen'Malog

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 12:04:34 am »

Lovely, lovely shock trooper rules! I don't suppose you got my previous email? I've not heard back about these beauties.

Laughing Ferret
Apprentice

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 09:21:00 am »

I really like the shock troops rules.
I already love the models, and the rules look very fun.  very flexible... can be hammer or anvil depending on what you need. I like it.
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 01:22:43 pm »

very flexible... can be hammer or anvil depending on what you need. I like it.
Thanks, that's what I was aiming for. Smiley
I think it's also quite distinct from the Empire approach of massed coordinated strikes which makes for a very different experience when playing them.
Ben Brownlie
Colouring In Bloke
Development Team
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 04:43:36 pm »

The real test is in the points score vs. playtesting, but the shocktrooper rules sound well thought out and balanced

Danomar looks a bit well'ard!
Jubal
Engineer of Larigal
Qualified Engineer

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2011, 01:26:11 pm »

Having playtested the KJs once, they're a fairly fun unit.

When it says "in which this model attacks" does that mean "in which the owning player has designated the KJ as primary combatant or charged" or does it mean "in which the KJ casts something other than straight oran"? We played option 1.

Also, were we right in thinking that the defensive bonus does apply against shooting?

The KJs are very nasty when used to go for herders (whence they're practically invulnerable short of a double failure), and can lead very nast charges against militia. They tend to get ridden down more effectively by knights; once the holes in the line start appearaing things can get much more difficult for them. I think the nicest thing is that the rules are shaping up now so the fights do actually have more structure to them; unlike some wargames where rolling up the enemy's flank then going for the centre (as an example tactic) has to be given artifical bonuses to make it worth it, in WoT its use and advantagees/disadvantages are inhererent.

Good rules, anyhow, and (I felt) well costed as a model.

WoT Reporter and editor of A Call To Arms.

Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011, 07:34:24 pm »

Glad you like how they are working out  Smiley
What size game did you use them in? What did the delgon force look like?

We've been trying out two different variants of the KJs: First up is the version as shown, and you interpreted it correctly.
The other version we've been trying uses a similar approach to the grishak (and is similar to your option 2) - the benefit applies in any combat where only oran are rolled successfully.
In both cases the skill works against shooting.

What do you guys think? I'm erring towards the second option at the moment, but nothing is finalised yet!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: