The World Of Twilight
March 29, 2024, 12:16:07 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the World of Twilight forum!
Automatic registration has been disabled, but if you are new and wish to register then just send me an email (m.thorp@talk21.com) and I'll sort it out. Don't forget to say what username you would like!

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Just played my first game!  (Read 5551 times)
Lost Egg
Lord of Engu
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« on: April 14, 2011, 02:02:34 pm »

I've just finished and I am pleased to say it was fun for all.

We played the first scenario - The Wandering Engineer.

The terrain was light with the Engineer's house in one corner and 3 small woods scattered about. The Fubarnii militia were set up around the Engineer and the knights were a bit further back to protect the rear. The Devanu must have spotted a weakness in deployment as the Kopa was in one corner and the Grishak in the corner opposite the house.

The Devanu started things off by activating the Kopa who sprinted right into base contact with the Engineer in an attempt to assassinate him! Attacking aggressively with 6 Erac he managed...to miss completely. Obviously this Engineer was too hardcore! The Devanu then activated the Grishak and sent them on the slow run towards the knights. The Militia activated next and proceeded to come to the Engineers rescue and clubbed the impulsive Kopa to death.

The Grishak couldn't resist the knights and so two charged in while the other two split off to run around the combat. The militia and the Engineer continued to make their way to the house with the militia forming up as a rearguard against the oncoming Grishak. The charge faltered as the combat became a stalemate. Another round of combat quickly followed which saw the 2 Grishak, knight captain and a knight wipe each other out in a bloodbath. The remaining knight prepared himself to run down the remaining Grishak.

In the next turn it kicked off with a combat but with no one engaged another stone was pulled...the Devanu. Now with only two Grishak remaining they moved a bit more cautiously hoping to stay out of the reach of the Militia. The next stone pulled was...combat again so the turn ended with the Grishak breathing down the necks of the Militia and the Engineer still at least two turns away from safety.

In the next turn the Devanu won the initiative and a sole Grishak charged into the Engineer while the other Grishak plunged in to engage a pair of Militia. Leaving the potentially decisive combat till last we started with the Militia. The poor little tike failed to hold off the devastating charge of the Grishak and was torn to pieces. The Engineer had obviously lost all his energy on the fight with the Kopa and failed to block a single attack from the Grishak. The game now hung on a single save which was...failed and the poor Engineer became lunch.

My poor Fubarnii hung their heads in shame...the day was lost!

Wow those Devanu are fast!

A few questions that came up...

• Thinking about it should the Devanu have fled when the Kopa died?
  • If a captain is supporting in a combat can all the combat stone be re-rolled as part of his Combat Trained? We assumed it was just his stones.
  • Can you pre-measure in Twilight? We assumed you can.

We had to use proxies as I only have a couple of Twilight figs but I now find myself sorely, sorely tempted to buy more. Dammit my painting queue is large enough. It's probably a good thing for my wallet that I'm not going to Salute.  Grin

HN
Geckilian
Hunter of Orelan
Distinguished Engineer

NuraSen'Malog

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 02:23:37 pm »

The scenario states that if the Kopa fails to escape, it's a draw should the engineer be dead. Due to the size of the game neither side really runs away, so it's a good thing the Grishak managed to kill the Engineer!

As for combat trained, page 10 under adjusting the results - "Starting with the player who initiated the combat, each player can choose to either use a Combat Ability of their Primary Combatant, or to pass. Supporting models may not use any of their abilities." So the captain wouldn't even be able to reroll his own.

As for pre-measuring, not really sure. I know that I don't, but mainly due to the other games I play.

Sounds like a good game, and I'm glad you enjoyed it! Now all you need are a load of Striders.

Emberbreeze
Development Team
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 04:08:57 pm »

Sounds, great for a first game. A few tactical blunders on both sides, but they even'd each other out Smiley  The Engineer was very lucky to survive the Kopa attack, protect him better next time by blocking those movement lanes and preventing the Kopa getting into base to base. The Kopa really needs the Grishak to soften up the Fubarni before getting stuck in, as he'll get munched easily when tired (as you saw), leaving a few stamina on the Kopa is essential to his survival in combat.

Geck is right, but usually I'd have played so the Devanu should have fled when the Kopa was killed, if the engineer was still alive and well at the end of the turn. (would have made for a quick game!)

Lost Egg
Lord of Engu
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 05:04:38 pm »

Thanks guys.

Yeah I had one of those oh bugger moments when I spotted my mistake but luckily the Kopa missed.

If I can find another Engineer who will let me protect 'em I will do a better job of it...hopefully. Smiley

HN
Geckilian
Hunter of Orelan
Distinguished Engineer

NuraSen'Malog

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 05:08:37 pm »

Just be careful of the Grishak chain - models can move through models of their own side. An unfriendly tactic is to get the 3 Grishak within about 9 or 8 inches of the Engineer himself, then bomb them in. Even with the engineer completely surrounded base to base, chances are the first or second Grishak will kill one of the figures in the way, allowing the second/last to charge through and fill the new gap, usually eating the Engineer. The Kopa waiting by the edge of the board then runs off, and wins....

Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 05:55:26 pm »

Thanks for sharing - sounds good!

I would have made the Grishak flee when the Kopa was killed, but sounds like you had a good game so glad you kept going  Smiley
With the grishak - you should firstly say all the models that are going to activate, then move them one at a time, fighting a 'charge' combat immediately after each model moves. Not sure if you were playing them that way or moving them as a unit?
As for pre-measuring... up to you really! It depends a lot who I'm playing as to whether we allow it or not.
Combat Trained - as Chris said, you can only use a model's combat abilities if he is the primary combatant. In the case of the captain he can reroll any or all of the stones so you don't need to keep track of which supporting stones relate to which model.

This scenario is actually a real challenge for the Empire. It's very hard for the engineer to survive, but as you saw it's also hard for the Kopa to escape if he's too over-keen! I'll be interested to hear how it plays out next time as the Devanu player is likely to be more cautious and more careful with his stamina  Smiley

Trust Chris to have come up with a sure-fire tactic to break the system  Wink

And you definitely need to buy (and paint) more figures!  Wink
Geckilian
Hunter of Orelan
Distinguished Engineer

NuraSen'Malog

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 06:01:35 pm »

Well it's not a new tactic Mike, it's how I killed the engineer in the participation game 2 years ago. Wink

Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 06:23:27 pm »

Well it's not a new tactic Mike, it's how I killed the engineer in the participation game 2 years ago. Wink
But you can't deny it is fairly typical for you to devise such tactics  Tongue
Lost Egg
Lord of Engu
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2011, 06:41:33 pm »

Well we kinda assumed they got the scent and wouldn't let up.

Ahh, no we played them a bit more like units in 40k.

You may well get a PM about that soon.

HN
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: