The World Of Twilight
April 19, 2024, 04:19:53 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the World of Twilight forum!
Automatic registration has been disabled, but if you are new and wish to register then just send me an email (m.thorp@talk21.com) and I'll sort it out. Don't forget to say what username you would like!

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: The Big BUILDING Suggestion Thread.  (Read 24659 times)
Brandlin
Official Fubarnii Architect
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2010, 03:47:13 pm »

If you have ideas of what you would like to see then please post below.

Pub/tavern and / or communal... erm... outhouses

Coaching inn we already have, but a small pack of outhouses might be useful.

Brandlin - Home of Laser cut styrene building kits - NOW OPEN!

"Engineers are too precious a resource to let go wandering the open countryside" - Emberbreeze 9/11/11
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2010, 05:04:45 pm »

How about a little river bridge? Tew Far is great as part of something larger and more modular, but it occurs to me that you could easily do a little bridge that could sit over a river. It would need to be lower with a ramp at each end, but I could see lots of uses for that.

If you wanted to be really clever you could build a little house into the edge of one end of the bridge for a toll-keeper.
Emberbreeze
Development Team
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2010, 05:12:45 pm »

That sounds cool!

Brandlin
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2010, 06:32:19 pm »

hmmm - i agree... so, what would make this bridge say "i was built by the fubarnii?"

"Engineers are too precious a resource to let go wandering the open countryside" - Emberbreeze 9/11/11
Bethar
Administrator
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2010, 11:02:31 pm »

hmmm - i agree... so, what would make this bridge say "i was built by the fubarnii?"

The fact that there was NO WAY a fubarnii could accidentally fall off it.  They're not fond of the idea of drowning.

Brandlin
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2010, 01:06:55 am »

so a walled and covered bridge then?

Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2010, 05:31:55 pm »

I know that new ideas won't be terribly useful at the moment, but it occurred to me that some street furniture might be very neat - a few covered stalls and whatnot. It doesn't really fit in with the 'built on rubbish' theme, but might work anyway.
Brandlin
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2010, 12:00:14 am »

I know that new ideas won't be terribly useful at the moment, but it occurred to me that some street furniture might be very neat - a few covered stalls and whatnot. It doesn't really fit in with the 'built on rubbish' theme, but might work anyway.

not such a bad idea, but wouldn't resin cast pieces be better for this? Pardulon and old crow (old ainsty range) d a lot of this stuff.

Unless of course you think that a fubarnii trade stand looks different to a generic fantasy/medieval one?

Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2010, 10:56:13 am »

not such a bad idea, but wouldn't resin cast pieces be better for this? Pardulon and old crow (old ainsty range) d a lot of this stuff.

Unless of course you think that a fubarnii trade stand looks different to a generic fantasy/medieval one?

Fair point on the resin - I was just imagining you could create nice simple frames that would pretty much clip together ready for loading with stock. I hadn't thought beyond the very basic idea though...
Jubal
Engineer of Larigal
Qualified Engineer

« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2010, 06:20:47 pm »

Making a few little stands would be a good cheap way to build a market, too; I imagine you could get maybe 4 stalls or equivalent to a lasercut sheet, possibly 5, and if that's say £8 or £9, I can't imagine a resin model would be less than £2.50 - in fact it would prolly be over double or even triple that. In short, I'd consider abuying a sheet with a stall or two, but I don't usually find much attraction in resin scenery due to the cost.

WoT Reporter and editor of A Call To Arms.

Brandlin
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2011, 09:57:53 pm »

Having started selling at Salute yesterday I was pleased with the general response that the laser cut kit approach is "brilliant" and "genius".

So it begs the question, what next?

What new model, new direction, new structure do I need next?

I'm already committed to a gate conversion kit and some simple homestead type buildings ... Any other suggestions?

Geckilian
Hunter of Orelan
Distinguished Engineer

NuraSen'Malog

« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2011, 10:09:29 pm »

Some tiered Delgon buildings would be lovely, perhaps based on quality street tin size or so, for larger flat structures. It's allow for more 3D games when there are stairs and ladders between lots of levels.

Brandlin
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2011, 10:19:18 pm »

Some tiered Delgon buildings would be lovely, perhaps based on quality street tin size or so, for larger flat structures. It's allow for more 3D games when there are stairs and ladders between lots of levels.

I did look into doing big delgonesque buildings a while ago but the geometry is a nightmare. In order to get a balcony that allows two figures to traverse side by side and have say three "wedding cake" layers you end up with a base structure almost 800mm diameter!

Maybe one day but most likely a a scratch build.

Geckilian
Hunter of Orelan
Distinguished Engineer

NuraSen'Malog

« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2011, 10:20:55 pm »

I wasn't thinking wedding cake layers, but rather circles of a similar size stacked off kilter with supporting scaffolding - seems like something the Delgon would do to take advantage of the shape of the surrounding rocky terrain etc.

Brandlin
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2011, 10:27:46 pm »

Possible, but to get enough space to actually place 30mm bases in the crescent of an offset building root, you need both a sizeable diameter building and a significant offset. I struggled to get any of the basic geometry to work neatly or me without ending up with 4foot wide citadel building...

I'd love to do some delgon inspired pieces, but I need to find a way to make them work for gettin figures on, and aesthetically pleasing.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: