The World Of Twilight
April 16, 2024, 03:00:00 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the World of Twilight forum!
Automatic registration has been disabled, but if you are new and wish to register then just send me an email (m.thorp@talk21.com) and I'll sort it out. Don't forget to say what username you would like!

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: The Big BUILDING Suggestion Thread.  (Read 24650 times)
Brandlin
Official Fubarnii Architect
Distinguished Engineer

« on: May 19, 2010, 04:42:48 pm »

I've had quite a few people suggest new buildings to be made  and thought it made sense to group them together in one place.

I'll maintain a list in this thread's original post. If you have ideas of what you would like to see then please post below. If its something that takes my interest then i'll promote it onto the list in this thread (and ultimately onto the "Portfolio and WIP thread")

The criteria for getting on this list are entirely arbitrary and changeable - depends what I like...  

If I make a kit you suggested you get a free one! This may take a while though, be patient!

Including what is on the Wip list we have so far... in no particular order.

- Tower
- Barracks
- Stables
- Clacks Tower
- Watch Tower
- Partially Collapsed tower
- Marketplace
- Enuk coaching inn
- Fortified wall sections for defending against Devanu
- Jail
- Lighthouse
- Windmill

Added (suggested by)
- Engineers house (Darth Tater)
- Waterwheel powered workshop (Rick)
- Warehouse (Jubal)
- Ordinary houses (Scalafino)
- Temple/observatories (Darth Tater + emberbreeze)
- Brick S***house ... or more politely outhouse (Ben Brownlie)
- buildings on stilts (koya)

When it come to starting a new design I MAY (at my discretion) put up a poll to see what people would like me to work on next.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 12:57:51 pm by Brandlin » Logged

Brandlin - Home of Laser cut styrene building kits - NOW OPEN!

"Engineers are too precious a resource to let go wandering the open countryside" - Emberbreeze 9/11/11
darth tater
Darth Teaser - Twilight Playtester
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 05:52:08 pm »

I imagine an engineers lab could make quite a cool "eccentric" building.

An observatory would look pretty awesome too   Grin

Brandlin
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 06:07:46 pm »

ah yes the engineers house... well said... (added).
Obeservatory - with the temple i think.

"Engineers are too precious a resource to let go wandering the open countryside" - Emberbreeze 9/11/11
Jubal
Engineer of Larigal
Qualified Engineer

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 06:16:51 pm »

A specific trader's tower would perhaps be good; you could have baruk stables at the bottom with wide doors, and pulley or platforms to carry goods up the side to warehouse rooms further up. Another bigger idea would be a clan or city council tower, not sure what that'd be like particularly though.

WoT Reporter and editor of A Call To Arms.

Scalifano
Spam-hunter
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 07:11:17 pm »

How about simple houses/dwellings for the common Fubarnii or even a Farm house.
Rick
Enasa Merchant Lord
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 05:30:30 am »

There is one thing missing (which I was considering building when I had the chance, lol!). What about a manufactory with an attached water-wheel for power? I was thinking along the lines of about 3 interlocked low buildings, waterwheel on one side, wide doors on the other. Probably some sort of workshop/manufactory, possibly even a metalworks or a smithy.
Brandlin
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2010, 08:54:38 am »

Warehouse, homes and waterwheel powered smithy - all good and added. Thanks Guys.

Like most developer i think we get carried away with doing the fun and unique, and forget about the mundane places for people to live... I shoudl churn out a couple of simple different sized homes i guess.

Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2010, 02:31:05 pm »

Warehouse, homes and waterwheel powered smithy - all good and added. Thanks Guys.

Like most developer i think we get carried away with doing the fun and unique, and forget about the mundane places for people to live... I shoudl churn out a couple of simple different sized homes i guess.

I'll share some pics of the little house I made with the pryngul tower at some point - it could do with a nice little doorway (a bit lower than the standard doorway), but does work very nicely. The only possible issue might be that a kit for a little house probably wouldn't work out much cheaper than a tower as you still need all the roofing. Would it be possible to do an alternative non-tiled roof? Maybe with a sunken floor and a raised lip or safety rail. You could add a little entry hatch for detail and maybe even a little shed or something to sit on the roof itself, or a ladder that could run up the outside wall?

Beth was enthusing about waterwheels a while back... Those could work very well from lasercutting!
Brandlin
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2010, 08:39:00 pm »

I'll share some pics of the little house I made with the pryngul tower at some point - it could do with a nice little doorway (a bit lower than the standard doorway), but does work very nicely. The only possible issue might be that a kit for a little house probably wouldn't work out much cheaper than a tower as you still need all the roofing. Would it be possible to do an alternative non-tiled roof? Maybe with a sunken floor and a raised lip or safety rail. You could add a little entry hatch for detail and maybe even a little shed or something to sit on the roof itself, or a ladder that could run up the outside wall?

Beth was enthusing about waterwheels a while back... Those could work very well from lasercutting!

The pitched, tiled roof is a bit of a double edged sword. Its a great selling point i think, but as mike says is also uses quite a lot of styrene.

I am looking at flat roofs, and have a good source of model hatches (really 18th century ship gun ports from a boat model company). My only concern with flat roofs is whether such a model would provide enough interest to make it worthwhile buying as a kit? time will tell i guess.  Adding a railing is fairly straightforward with the Brandlin patented railing making system (which is both genius and likely to send customers mad trying to put it together!).

I'm thinking of making 2-3 slightly smaller single or jsust double storey dwellings with different roof structures and doorways and beam work etc. I'd probbaly make 2 A4 sheets able to make all three buildings. But with elements you could mix and match so you get several different homes from one kit.and if you want a whole village then maybe 4 kits will get you a dozen buildings - all thematically consistent but all different.

Rick
Enasa Merchant Lord
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2010, 02:29:10 am »

I think you had a view of the tower laid out on it's sprue-sheet (as it were), but I can't remember the complete layout. BUT - if you put the pitched, tiled roof on a seperate sheet, you could sell it seperately for people who would be willing to buy an extra sheet to have a tiled roof, rather than a flat roof. I know it's a mite more fiddly, and a bit more outlay, but it might be a good idea - if you've got a bit of space you could maybe put some extra detailing 'bits' on it as well.
Brandlin
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2010, 09:58:39 am »

actually Rick thats how it started.

there are two sheets in the kit. a 1mm thick one that contains all the beam work and then pieces for the structural elements, but this turned out to be too thick to bend into a cone to make the roof so i had to put all those bits on a new thinner 0.5mm thick sheet. Then I found I had lots of space spare on an A4 sheet so put all the windows and other decorative pieces on there.

Selling a separate roof is a good idea though if people want one. the only restriction being that it'll only fit a pringles tube. but if there is demand then i'll make one. or is that "build it and they will buy!" Wink

Gethuch
Resident Eccentric
Administrator
Apprentice

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2010, 06:57:40 pm »

Regarding the roof, I think there would be other variants than just tiled/conical and flat. I don't have Sketchup and I'm not about to try installing it (in Linux) right now, but I'm sure you can imagine intersecting the Pringles tube with any number of easy-to make, single-curve or flat shapes, to make interesting alternatives.
Jubal
Engineer of Larigal
Qualified Engineer

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2010, 07:03:26 pm »

One thing I haven't quite worked about these yet - can one use the roof-cone without tiles? I live next to a nature reserve, and at some point collectiong some stuffs and doing a thatched tower would be quite fun.

WoT Reporter and editor of A Call To Arms.

Brandlin
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2010, 07:10:45 pm »

One thing I haven't quite worked about these yet - can one use the roof-cone without tiles? I live next to a nature reserve, and at some point collectiong some stuffs and doing a thatched tower would be quite fun.

Yes you can

the roof is a cone of styrene bent and glued together - its the hardest part of the kit and can be quite tricky. I provide a template in the instructions if you want to make it out of cardbaord instead (which is easier)

The strips of slates/shingles are then glued to that - meaning you end up with a very robust 2-3 layer thick cone of styrene - very strong and robust.  The shingles glued on do reinforce the whole structure.

Certainly if you get a good glue bond on the cone then you can cover it in anything you like.

If you do buy one and do that then i'd love to see what you come up with!

Ben Brownlie
Colouring In Bloke
Development Team
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2010, 07:41:22 pm »

If you have ideas of what you would like to see then please post below.

Pub/tavern and / or communal... erm... outhouses
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: