The World Of Twilight
March 29, 2024, 08:52:30 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the World of Twilight forum!
Automatic registration has been disabled, but if you are new and wish to register then just send me an email (m.thorp@talk21.com) and I'll sort it out. Don't forget to say what username you would like!

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: The Dhogu  (Read 17607 times)
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« on: April 17, 2011, 10:24:33 pm »

There's still a lot to do, but here's a first look at the Dhogu. These hardy Fubarnii live within the Setir mountains and often work with the Delgon (although they'll also sell their services to some of the Northern clans of the Empire). I'm also working on a yirnak rider, but he's very early in the process...

Geckilian
Hunter of Orelan
Distinguished Engineer

NuraSen'Malog

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 10:26:34 pm »

When I saw the dual wielder in person it was very impressive. If you're able to do a back shot that'd be grat, as the furs are excellent and you can't quite see them in that pic.

Very much looking forward to seeing this guy completed.

Mrs Carcharoth
Blue Penguin of Doom!
Development Team
Jenta

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 10:29:18 pm »

How do I not remember ever having seen this guy.? Mike were you hiding him from me too or was I just too busy bagging up models to notice him?
Brandlin
Official Fubarnii Architect
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 10:29:26 pm »

Yirnak fur I presume?

Not seen any other furry residents af anyaral....

Cool sculpts mike. I think I prefer the spear carrier to the right.

Brandlin - Home of Laser cut styrene building kits - NOW OPEN!

"Engineers are too precious a resource to let go wandering the open countryside" - Emberbreeze 9/11/11
Mrs Carcharoth
Blue Penguin of Doom!
Development Team
Jenta

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 10:31:27 pm »

Brandlin, stop posting on this forum and post the instructions to the Benan Watchtower! I wanted to start making it tonight and couldn't!  Cry
clam
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 10:34:10 pm »

Yes, Mike - exactly what we need. Really like the feral/hunting aspects here. And can see how their service could/would be acquired.

Any plans of introducing Bows for these? Think it would really add to them.

My painting-blog: Clamshells and Sea Horses
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 10:43:03 pm »

Not seen any other furry residents af anyaral....
Skerrats...

Unsure on bows so far. Maybe, but I'll have to think.
clam
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2011, 10:49:51 pm »

I know, you ain't much for it. But in my opinion these here would really work as silent warriors - and be a very useful as a skirmish troop choice. The assassin fits that theme well - but don't really see spear as a weapon for a skirmish unit. So a silent range weapon like a bow (or like GecKilian said Blowpipes), would work rather well, if you ask me. 

Brandlin
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2011, 10:53:05 pm »

Brandlin, stop posting on this forum and post the instructions to the Benan Watchtower! I wanted to start making it tonight and couldn't!  Cry

hmmmm where did they go???

damnit... i can't find the file...

(insert suitable blushing icon here)

there may be a slight delay of a day or so while i ...ermm...re-write them...

so so so sorry.... Sad

"Engineers are too precious a resource to let go wandering the open countryside" - Emberbreeze 9/11/11
Mrs Carcharoth
Blue Penguin of Doom!
Development Team
Jenta

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2011, 11:08:47 pm »

Brandlin - shocking, almost as bad as printing a new rule book for all the new model releases and not including rules for sone weird looking anteater dude.....  Wink

Now what am I going to do tomorrow evening. I might have to go back to knitting!
Major_Gilbear
Jenta

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2011, 11:29:18 pm »

I know, you ain't much for it. But in my opinion these here would really work as silent warriors - and be a very useful as a skirmish troop choice. The assassin fits that theme well - but don't really see spear as a weapon for a skirmish unit. So a silent range weapon like a bow (or like GecKilian said Blowpipes), would work rather well, if you ask me.  

I realise that I'm new here, and I therefore may be missing something crucial that's in the background, but aren't these little creatures beaked? If so, that'd make using blowpipes pretty hard!

If you wanted some assassin/stealthy hunter types, and you don't want to use bows and the like, you could always try throwing knives or shuriken of some sort instead?

Another alternative might be a variation of the old toy spud guns, but bigger and made with two long-ish tubes, and with some wadding/sabot that is used to fire darts. I can perhaps make a little sketch to better explain what I mean if it isn't clear. Effectively low-tech dart guns. I don't know how hard hides would be to pierce generally though, so such weapons might not be powerful enough... Unless:

Both of these (knives/darts) could be poisoned/paralyzing - perhaps using a fungal venom or such?

Anyway, I've gotten a bit sidetracked there; I originally just popped into the thread to comment on the rather nice furry Dhogu! Tongue
Brandlin
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2011, 11:49:50 pm »

Now what am I going to do tomorrow evening. I might have to go back to knitting!

dont make me answer that, mike will ban me.

Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2011, 08:38:20 am »

I realise that I'm new here, and I therefore may be missing something crucial that's in the background, but aren't these little creatures beaked? If so, that'd make using blowpipes pretty hard!

They kinda have beaks, but with fleshy muzzle over them, so they would theoretically be able to use blowpipes. I guess that depends if there are any suitable long, hollow reed-type plants in the north. I don't really see them having blowpipes though. Shurikens could work, but I think it's more likely to be throwing knives or short bows.

The spud gun idea sounds fun. Probably not for Dhogu, but it's a neat idea.

Jules has been nagging me about the lack of rules for the KalGush and the Hunter, so I'll be putting playtest rules up soon. I think the Hunter may well add a useful defence against the grishak charges...
clam
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2011, 10:34:48 am »

They kinda have beaks, but with fleshy muzzle over them, so they would theoretically be able to use blowpipes. I guess that depends if there are any suitable long, hollow reed-type plants in the north. I don't really see them having blowpipes though. Shurikens could work, but I think it's more likely to be throwing knives or short bows.

The spud gun idea sounds fun. Probably not for Dhogu, but it's a neat idea

Surely you meant: "... it's more likely to be throwing knives and short bows." I could really see these sneak around, picking up tracks and maybe even cause a silent kill to their prey - so I definitely think that short bows should be an optional/weapon upgrade for them.

maccioniath
Apprentice

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2011, 06:31:17 pm »

I dunno, I've always liked the no bows aspect of twilight. If they have all the stereotypical fantasy stuff then it boils down to just another same-old-same-old using fubarnii instead of humans. I like that twilight is more than that, that the setting is more divergent than just straight tolkien with racial substitutions. Of course thats just my opinion.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: