The World Of Twilight
March 19, 2024, 03:24:29 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the World of Twilight forum!
Automatic registration has been disabled, but if you are new and wish to register then just send me an email (m.thorp@talk21.com) and I'll sort it out. Don't forget to say what username you would like!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  
Author Topic: The First Twilight Painting Contest  (Read 49614 times)
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« on: May 02, 2011, 01:10:51 pm »

I mention before Salute that I would be running a painting contest. I'm still finalising the details, but I thought I would start by giving you all a heads up on the plan.

I'm going to keep things very simple and give a reasonably long deadline, so the contest will be to paint one or more twilight figures with a deadline of the end of June.
There will just be one category that covers everything from individual models up to small dioramas. The only limitation is that whatever you paint should be from the World of Twilight range and should be able to fit on an area the size of a CD. It doesn't have to fill the CD of course!

There will be a panel of three judges. The first judge will be you guys - there will be a public vote so you can have your say. Then Ben Brownlie has kindly offered his services to judge the painting quality. Finally there will be me, who will be picking my favourite entries that fit into the world of Twilight.
You can enter by sending me a picture of your entry before the deadline. I'll then make a new thread to show them all and open up the public vote. Its up to you if you want to share WIP shots or not, but I do think it is fun to see what everybody is up to. One thing to remember is that the models will be judged entirely on the photos, so do your best to get it looking as good as possible!

And finally, you can't really have a contest without having a prize! The first prize will be £30 worth of Twilight stock (which can include anything new that has come out of the moulds by then). I will also do a few little bonus prizes, which will be something from the next master mould I get cast. I'm not sure what that'll be yet, so prize details will have to be updated later. There's a good chance that this will be the first opportunity to get one of the new Dhogu. 

One final warning is that I might change a few of the details over the next few days if anybody points out I've done something odd or missed something important, or if somebody tells me that 2 months really isn't long enough...

I'm looking forward to seeing what you all come up with!

Mike
Geckilian
Hunter of Orelan
Distinguished Engineer

NuraSen'Malog

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 01:18:50 pm »

Excellent, I should, possibly, have enough figs to choose from.

Jubal
Engineer of Larigal
Qualified Engineer

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 02:24:23 pm »

Aw man; I suck at painting. I'll prolly enter anyway, but mine will really be rubbish. Looking forward to seeing what folk with actual talent come up with though. Is it one entry per person, or unlimited like previous competitions?

WoT Reporter and editor of A Call To Arms.

HannahFKW
Jenta

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 02:31:53 pm »

AWESOME!!! I was hoping there might be a painting contest at some point!!! Cheesy
Can't wait to get started!

Han!
clam
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 02:32:06 pm »

Well, be the end of June I should most likely be able to make it. Sound like fun. Please let there be Dhogu in the next mould. Dhogu and Herder Leader. And I'll do my best to win the 'quite an effort, but you colour scheme still sucks' - Dough award Smiley

Fit a CD? So I cant do a unit of 10 troopers or two Belan, then? - or does that only apply to the diorama kind of entries?

And if we do individual based miniatures can we include scenery on the pictures, too? Or take pictures with them on a gaming board? (Brandlin, do you plan on putting your board up for rent? Tongue)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 02:40:00 pm by clam » Logged

My painting-blog: Clamshells and Sea Horses
Major_Gilbear
Jenta

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 03:49:09 pm »

Hmm, well if I get anything finished in the next two months, I'll probably stick something into the comp!  Cheesy
Lost Egg
Lord of Engu
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 03:59:31 pm »

Awesome news! I shall have a think on what to paint up.

How many times can we enter?

HN
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 05:16:13 pm »

The CD limit is a bit random really. You can do a bunch of individually based models as long as they would approximately fit on a CD sized area. I'd allow two belan (although they would overlap the CD by a tiny bit), which would leave room for some sort of character to lead them. I've not tested but I think a unit of 10 troopers would fit.

You can enter any number of times, but I'd suggest picking a couple of your favourites unless you are really struggling to decide!

Take the photos that best show off the model/diorama. If you think that works best on a table then go ahead, but make sure you are photographing the figures and not the terrain!
darth tater
Darth Teaser - Twilight Playtester
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 06:10:33 pm »

There really are a number of great painters on here at the moment......I might have a go   Sad

maccioniath
Apprentice

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2011, 06:36:14 pm »

Run another fluff contest and I might have a chance... 
Juan
Jenta

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2011, 09:17:36 pm »

It is going to be fun, and very interesting if it is possible to put pictures of the WIP; you can learn a lot in this way!
Ok, my little hunter has now a task to achieve...
Ben Brownlie
Colouring In Bloke
Development Team
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2011, 11:26:28 am »

Take the photos that best show off the model/diorama. If you think that works best on a table then go ahead, but make sure you are photographing the figures and not the terrain!

This last bit is important. Although a nice base / diorama etc can really set off the minis, I'll be judging on the painting ability on the model/s over and above it's/their surroundings, so by all means go to town on the background / basing etc, but NOT at the expense of painting on the figs
Laughing Ferret
Apprentice

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2011, 02:07:43 am »

Sounds fun!

I assume there is a start date along with the deadline date? or previously painted minis are allowed?

Most of my Devanu are painted, but I have my whole Fubarnii collection unpainted still, so they'd be eligible for me for a 'newly painted' contest.  and I've been putting my final list together for a Delgon order, so I might do those.. or enter both fubarnii & delgon Wink
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2011, 08:17:15 am »

There isn't really a start date as this is the first contest, but I think newly painted models would go down better with the judges... Smiley
clam
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2011, 07:41:09 am »

Slightly of topic, but if you haven't yet picked up the models you want to paint you better hurry.

This was announced yesterday:

http://forum-of-doom.com/index.php?topic=14803

Seems like Hasslefree will be closed for like 4 weeks from Monday 16th.

Can we take advantage of direct sales in that period, Mike?

And another OT question: Are mounted herders back in stock, soon? I regret so much, not picking up any of those, now. I could really see myself do a few of those for this one here. Herders or the Knights of Relan ...?!!?  Smiley

My painting-blog: Clamshells and Sea Horses
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  

Jump to: