The World Of Twilight
March 28, 2024, 03:03:51 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the World of Twilight forum!
Automatic registration has been disabled, but if you are new and wish to register then just send me an email (m.thorp@talk21.com) and I'll sort it out. Don't forget to say what username you would like!

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Narvrak (Drop Bear)  (Read 5302 times)
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« on: June 05, 2010, 02:10:28 pm »

I got sent this entry through via email from Beth (Bethar).

Narvrak, or "Drop Bear"

This creature lives in cold, mountainous but thickly forested regions, such as those between Galin and Peygarl.  It lives in caves and hunts small to medium forest animals by climbing trees or onto rocky outcrops and pouncing on them from above.  It supplements this diet with fungi, nuts and berries.  Its hands are quite dextrous, but are also specially adapted in another way.  A tough, horny ridge across the knuckles aids it when knuckle-walking but also adds to the impact when it pounces on its prey, punching into them with the weight of its body behind it.

More closely related to Devanu than Fubarnii, it has a lipless beak, hooked for tearing flesh, smaller back legs with clawed feet and a largely carnivorous diet.  But it is far more cold adapted, with shorted limbs, a large body and hair on its back and chest.  The young are even more hairy, with dark fluff all over them, which gradually recedes as they grow.

Narvrak do not eat Fubarnii, but will attack them if provoked, particularly if they are looking after young.  In their knuckle-walking gait they stand eye to eye with a Fubarnii, but weigh much more and tower over them when they rear up, which they will do when attacking at close quarters in order to drop their weigh down onto their adversary.

Narvrak are sometimes encountered by Delgon as they clear forest to harvest timber, and a wise Delgon will stay well away.
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 02:13:28 pm »

I quite want to see a picture of a Narvrak with a young in tow...
Bergil
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 03:32:07 pm »

I think of it as a parrot wombat, which is no bad thing  Grin

As a creature I think it's pretty cool, just needs a little refining in terms of looks. It's just that the head looks.. wrong.
Rick
Enasa Merchant Lord
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 05:09:47 pm »

Perhaps if you elongate the head slightly and have the beak more as a toughened snout?
Bergil
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 01:20:30 pm »

Yeah that would work for me.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: