The World Of Twilight
March 28, 2024, 11:13:04 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the World of Twilight forum!
Automatic registration has been disabled, but if you are new and wish to register then just send me an email (m.thorp@talk21.com) and I'll sort it out. Don't forget to say what username you would like!

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Salute 2013 Display Board (very pic heavy)  (Read 22298 times)
paintedman
Jenta

« on: January 12, 2013, 07:16:45 pm »

Hi all, I volunteered last year to build the display board for Twilight at Salute 2013.  After a very slow start I’ve been making some progress and felt like sharing it with forum users.

So a quick update on what’s been done so far:

As a cheat I’m basing the board on some of the tiles from the Citadel realm of battle board that has had all of the skulls blitzed from it.  The setup is to be a Delgon outpost, so the four hill tiles will be used with an option to include the flat ones if required.  Here are a couple of the board sections.

A large Delgon building is the focal point of the outpost.  The building is based on Mike’s sketches of Delgon buildings in another post and for a sense of scale I have placed it on a board tile.

The intention is for there to be three storeys with a look-out on top.  As of a few days ago the first building looks like this, and yes those are individual tiles on the roof.

In an effort to make things as uniform as possible as per Delgon culture I’ve made masters for windows and a set of large doors

And have now made moulds from latex and alginate to make multiple copies

More updates soon, once I've sorted some more of the board out.
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 07:25:04 pm »

Looking good! Once you've finished I might have to ask for a few spare windows and doors  Smiley
Geckilian
Hunter of Orelan
Distinguished Engineer

NuraSen'Malog

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 10:18:45 pm »

Some good progress there!

halfmileduck
Jenta

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 12:40:55 pm »

Will you be selling window/door castings at Salute?
Whitwort Stormbringer
Jenta

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 03:01:56 pm »

Love the way the building is shaping up - should be a really cool board!  Hopefully I'll get a chance to swing by and check it out this year.
paintedman
Jenta

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 08:11:45 pm »

Depending on how well the moulds work and the quality of the resin I've ordered, I may have some doors and windows for sale at Salute.  Assuming I'm allowed to use some of the space on the Twilight stand of course  Grin.
paintedman
Jenta

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 05:20:43 pm »

After being sent home early from work on Friday and the snow made me almost completely housebound this weekend I’ve made some more progress on the board.  I’ve added the flying extension to the large building and made the base plate for the entire outpost.

Now, it’s time to build up the raised area of the outpost and start building the main gate.  As yet I’ve not cast any windows or doors, but may have some done later this week once I’ve trimmed the new moulds.
Pyre
Caravan Master
Development Team
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2013, 08:21:51 pm »

awesome

halfmileduck
Jenta

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2013, 09:16:15 pm »

Starting to look very good, love all the details on the roofing, I guess that took a while ;-)

What is your intention with the base plate, will the outpost be raised off the board and how are you going to support the flying extension?

Will it all come apart for transportation?

paintedman
Jenta

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2013, 11:40:46 pm »

Answers to those questions in the next pic update!
TuffSkull
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2013, 10:38:36 am »

looking great!

Megatron0
Merchant of Enipel
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2013, 07:47:08 pm »

It looks fantastic. I cant wait to see it in real life!

paintedman
Jenta

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2013, 10:57:12 pm »

So, not answering the questions from Halfmileduck, but showing that my mould making skills work in plaster.  Here are first castings for the door and windows.

Not sure which size of windows to use yet.  Any thoughts, anyone?
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2013, 11:03:46 am »

Looking good! I'm guessing that the small windows will work best, but looking forward to seeing them in situ to make a better call...
paintedman
Jenta

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2013, 08:54:04 pm »

Hi all, it’s been a while since I updated this thread so here goes…

Progress has been slow but not completely stopped.  I’ve added the uprights for the observation deck to the large building and finished tiling the roofs.  I’ve also been busy casting windows and doors.  The ones in the picture below are plaster.  You can also see I’ve started work on the watch tower overlooking the road up to the gates.

These on the other hand are my first casts in plastic!

Here are some preliminary thoughts on door handles that will eventually be cast in plastic.

I’ve also been laying the foundations for the extended rock walls around the compound and have made a start on the compound gates (no pics just yet).

As the day looms closer I will try to post more frequent updates, aiming for once a week.
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: