The World Of Twilight
April 18, 2024, 06:15:59 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the World of Twilight forum!
Automatic registration has been disabled, but if you are new and wish to register then just send me an email (m.thorp@talk21.com) and I'll sort it out. Don't forget to say what username you would like!

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Oaths and Honor in the Empire  (Read 2154 times)
ElectricPaladin
Jenta

« on: September 21, 2015, 06:06:08 pm »

One of the bits of lore that really stuck with me is the Knights of the Empire and their oaths to never shed Fubarnii blood, and how some of them starting with Danomar broke their oaths in order to protect the Empire against the Delgon. The Knights as an organization, dedicated only to their eternal war against the Devanu, are very interesting, and I've always had a thing for oaths and honor.

What I was wondering is... what is honor in the culture of the Empire? What sorts of consequences do the Knights who followed Danomar believe that they are going to suffer?

Is it just that their reputations are shot? Because I get the feeling that inside the Empire at least, nobody is going to blame them for what they've done (at least, not anyone except for hardliners).

Is it simply a matter of integrity? Do they believe that because they have broken their oaths they are somehow no longer truly Knights, and this is going to have negative effects on them, personally and psychologically, so that even if "the people" forgive them, they will have to find a way to forgive themselves?

Do they have a mythology? Are their oaths sacred, and do they believe that they will suffer supernatural retribution, now or in some kind of hereafter?

What are your thoughts, oh enlightened ones?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: