The World Of Twilight
March 29, 2024, 07:53:12 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the World of Twilight forum!
Automatic registration has been disabled, but if you are new and wish to register then just send me an email (m.thorp@talk21.com) and I'll sort it out. Don't forget to say what username you would like!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: TWF-04 - BENAN WATCHTOWER  (Read 38813 times)
Gethuch
Resident Eccentric
Administrator
Apprentice

« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2010, 11:27:21 pm »

Cool! Cheesy Cheesy
Rick
Enasa Merchant Lord
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2010, 01:56:20 am »

Amazing work Brandlin, just amazing. If I wasn't between jobs and penniless, I'd be snapping up loads of these.
Sikil
Hatchling

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2010, 04:14:11 am »

Is it only me who starts imagine a small village on my desk, surrounded by those towers n' walls?

Then, taking a "step back" in my imagination and expanding the idea to a fortified town:

R
                R
                R
      O       R     O
        \     R     /
         O-===-O
        /  H     S  \
       /  P        W \
O--O   H    T   H  O--O
       \  H        P  /
        \  S    H   /
         O-===-O
        /     R     \
      O      R      O
             R
              R
               R
              R

-, /, \ wall
= gate
O tower
R road
P pyn-tower
S stables
W engineers workshop
T townhall
H habitat

the outer towers are conneted to the fortifications with the bridges, and not walls per se.

Will get silly expensive but... GOSH! The modeller inside craves...
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 04:17:50 am by Sikil » Logged
Brandlin
Official Fubarnii Architect
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2010, 10:08:51 am »

silly expensive...

I think that's about £400 for around 45 buildings (some of which i've not even thought of yet!) - you never know i might even give you a discount for that much!

Mind you that layout is about 4 foot square too!

One of the things i've been wanting to do is finish the designs for half a dozen buildings and variants and then give mike a picture of a fubarnii town... all higgledy and chaotic and unplanned...

Brandlin - Home of Laser cut styrene building kits - NOW OPEN!

"Engineers are too precious a resource to let go wandering the open countryside" - Emberbreeze 9/11/11
Emberbreeze
Development Team
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2010, 10:32:14 am »

I think your modular approach and using sketchup should make is much easier to come up with mashup buildings once you have a few to work from. That then opens up all sorts of possible town designs.

The other issue is defining what is a 'town' given Fubarnii settlements are on similar scales to ours, most games will be fought on the edge of a settlement or in a small village.

I really like the tower and walls idea, but given that the Empires only 'current' threat is from packs of Devanu, large city walls would not strictly be necessary for defence, more like demarcation of zones (keeping the riff raff out of the nice areas). Stockades might be more appropriate for villages with a large Devanu threat.

Brandlin
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2010, 11:40:03 am »

I really like the tower and walls idea, but given that the Empires only 'current' threat is from packs of Devanu, large city walls would not strictly be necessary for defence, more like demarcation of zones (keeping the riff raff out of the nice areas). Stockades might be more appropriate for villages with a large Devanu threat.

Stockade is a good word... I was trying for that look... which is why the watchtowers have open railings and covered lookouts rather than crenelations and battlements.

The bit i dont like it the vertical walls... they should be sloped.  I'd paint them as stone beams on the bottom and with a flint-like covering on the lower panles and with wood/stucco above. they only need to be tall and thick enough to stop a devanu kopa from leaping over.

"Engineers are too precious a resource to let go wandering the open countryside" - Emberbreeze 9/11/11
Ben Brownlie
Colouring In Bloke
Development Team
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2010, 07:17:27 pm »

Is it only me who starts imagine a small village on my desk, surrounded by those towers n' walls?

Nope

I think Brandlin needs to take your town plan and do the whole lot up in his building program Cheesy

Rick
Enasa Merchant Lord
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2010, 07:24:58 pm »

Ouch!

Perhaps the walls should be sloped, with an overhang at the top? Bit like a 'K' cross-section?
Brandlin
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2010, 08:05:09 pm »

Ouch!

Perhaps the walls should be sloped, with an overhang at the top? Bit like a 'K' cross-section?

Yes, I agree but then i have a problem joining them to the towers in a way that will also accept the bridge. I'll work on it... it is WIP after all.

Nope

I think Brandlin needs to take your town plan and do the whole lot up in his building program Cheesy

Yeah like i don't have a life... oh wait...

Brandlin
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2010, 12:25:40 am »

Nope

Yeah like i don't have a life... oh wait...

Now, boys and girls, can i stop answering silly questions and go back to making stuff ?  Wink

Rick
Enasa Merchant Lord
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2010, 01:19:55 am »

Oh my good gracious. That's just amazing Brandlin - when you get the rest of your planned models done, use this picture as an advert! It's great!
Gethuch
Resident Eccentric
Administrator
Apprentice

« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2010, 01:34:43 am »

...    Shocked

Yup, that was what I meant. That's some good advertising!

Now you just need to drop it into a suitable format for POVRAY, skin it with some nice textures, and render it up with some fractal terrain in the background and campfire smoky drifting around the towers... Wink
Lord of Wormwood
Jenta

« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2010, 01:43:03 am »

I might know someone who is mightly handy with Photoshop - like really handy. If you like I will chat him up about doing some Box art for you using these models. It's the type of job he would love.
(He also designs Pinball Machine art in his spare time - you know the back light pannel)

With box art image coupled with a finished proto and the instructions that you are doing in the first place these will really sell themselves. There is a lot of folk out there that want Elvenesq buildings which this might just fall into for the blinkered folk.

Lord of Wormwood
Brandlin
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2010, 08:54:35 am »

Thank you guys.

Personally I prefer this sketchy line art to a fully rendered photo image - i think it helps to show the 'idea' of a model in the early stages so oyu focus on the concept rather than getting bogged down in the detail.

I agree however that fully rendered photo images would be good for advertising and such like. I can render the models as I have drawn them, I haven't yet because I drew the models at their actual size and all the bitmaps I have are for real life scale architecture so they dont offer any kind of texture.  Its something I may work on but really isn't a priority for me.

Thanks for the offer Lord of Wormwood (whats your name? Stephen? I can't keep calling you Lord, it's sooo deferrential!) If i need something doing i shall certainly keep your offer in mind. However I'm using the sketch images on the packing (A4 sheet inserted in clear grip lock bag) partly because i think the style helps to tie the range together, abut mostly because printing black and white line art is cheaper and I can do it here at home.

Brandlin
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2010, 11:38:18 pm »

Oh Poo!

Ok I have been working on the detail of the canopy of the Bennan Watchtower.  I like this component as it will ultimately fit not just on the Bennan watch tower but also on the Stables kit and any other flat roofed building. In fact it can be added to any structure as a cover.

But i have run into a significant problem

The picture shows the structure with a few bits hidden to allow you to see the detail. (the balusters are also not drawn in, the 'floating ring' is the location for the hand rail railing).

So a small prize (mostly consisting of a packet of smugness to whoever can tell me what they think the problem might be. And a bigger prize to those that can solve it!

sigh...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: