The World Of Twilight
March 19, 2024, 09:17:34 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the World of Twilight forum!
Automatic registration has been disabled, but if you are new and wish to register then just send me an email (m.thorp@talk21.com) and I'll sort it out. Don't forget to say what username you would like!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
  Print  
Author Topic: Taelan's Workshop  (Read 48746 times)
Taelan
Senior Apprentice

Frugin Flinger

« on: July 19, 2011, 11:34:01 am »

Hi All,

So begins my Fubarnii painting adventure. My Hasslefree order arrived a while ago but as expected Life(TM) had other plans.

Last Sunday I got a couple of hours to sit down, clean and set up the models for painting (Engineer and Trader). First up, the Trader at 80% work in progress and non-setup photos:

Trader with Casani Origins (olive tones)

I'm tempted to remove the orb and use something else there instead, but may end up painting it as a glass sphere. The eyes are set up to be coloured with gold irises, so the pupils are overly large, besides that a few other details to go. Mounted on the classic Twilight base and a few finishing touches, then he will be complete. This and use a better camera! hah.

Overall, fun model to paint, responded well to washes and the surface was very smooth with little fuss cleaning mold lines. Enjoyed painting this little guy so far, my partner thinks they're just adorable. One question though, is there an article on the forum about Fubarnii fashions?

I'm still modifying the Engineer, so more on him soon.

At this point I think I'll work on models based around the Great Lakes, themed to suit. Smiley

thanks!
Taelan.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 11:35:34 am by Taelan » Logged

Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 11:52:55 am »

Looking good!
No articles from any Empire fashion experts as far as I recall... Fancy ruffs and ornate headgear are certainly in fashion, as are tail extensions (there is a thread on Fubarnii nobility somewhere). This traveller is a bit more practical in his garb, but those bright colours are certainly not out of place.
I like the choice of green, and the freckling looks spot on (excuse the pun).
Lost Egg
Lord of Engu
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 04:00:00 pm »

Lovely understated colour scheme. I like the subtle stripes on his trews.

HN
KDLynch
Apprentice

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 04:24:32 pm »

Very nice work, Taelan! Smiley

"what color did you use, red with a black wash?"
Impactminiatures
Hatchling

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 04:10:43 pm »

Excellent work!
ork56
Jenta

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 08:25:06 pm »

very smooth work. looking forward to more.
Megatron0
Merchant of Enipel
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 12:47:33 am »

I particularly like the colour on the cloths. Simply great :-)

Pyre
Caravan Master
Development Team
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 07:33:17 pm »

The attention to the detail is what sells this one for me. The freckles, the buckles/jewelry, the eye catching use of blue... awesome.

I can't wait to see the engineer.

TheGremlin
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2011, 02:51:51 pm »

I really like the colour play, the orange is set off by the blue and olive very nicely.
Taelan
Senior Apprentice

Frugin Flinger

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2011, 04:17:45 am »

Thanks all,

A contract I picked up has had me all over the show the last few weeks. Finally back home and in my studio, so onwards to finish the trader and complete the Engineer build Cheesy

Appreciate all the feedback and comments on your favourite picks in the painting Cheesy

- Taelan.

Taelan
Senior Apprentice

Frugin Flinger

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2011, 08:53:25 am »

Well couple of months since I last post in my project log. Snowed under by recent work, the best of reasons to be held back from modelling and drawing Cheesy

I've been quietly mimicking the art style of Twilight. Progressing from some pretty shocking beginnings (squiggly outlines and terri-bad proportions) working my way up like a novice, when time could afford, to 50/50 success.

Suffice to say I feel I'm closing in faster with each sketch. This is my latest Enuk rider :

My own critique so far after stepping away:
  • Legs need to be more slender, longer even. (both mount & rider)
  • Neck needs to be about a 1/5th longer I think.

Love to hear some critique from the community, helps align what my mind's eye is seeing.

- T.

Lost Egg
Lord of Engu
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2011, 09:42:29 am »

Looks good Taelan. One thing I'd say is that I'm not getting as big a sense of movement from the rider as I am from the mount; perhaps have the rider leaning forward slightly.

Apart from that, and your comments, I think you've hit it pretty much spot on.

HN
Megatron0
Merchant of Enipel
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2011, 01:44:42 pm »

I like that pic! Its great to see some more twilight artwork about! and that trader looks sweet

Ben Brownlie
Colouring In Bloke
Development Team
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2011, 04:58:16 pm »

The pic is drawn neatly and competently, but everything on the Enuk needs to be longer

And the rider needs to be leaning into the saddle at the implied speed

Nicely done tho. Getting there
Taelan
Senior Apprentice

Frugin Flinger

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2011, 11:51:59 pm »

Thanks guys, I'll start a new piece this weekend, taking on board the critique Smiley

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
  Print  

Jump to: